Jack Wilson is out of Eric Wedge’s doghouse

Apr 11, 2011, 9:04 PM EDT

wilson_jack

Mariners manager Eric Wedge and Jack Wilson have apparently put their differences behind them.

Wedge didn’t hide his frustration after Wilson pulled himself from a game last Wednesday against the Rangers. He called Wilson’s decision “unspeakable,” among other things, and held him out of the lineup over the weekend.

However, following a conversation yesterday, Wedge has put Wilson back in the lineup for tonight’s game against the Blue Jays.

“We had another conversation yesterday and that’s it,” Wedge said. “That’s the end of it. I don’t hold grudges — never have, never will, don’t believe in them. The coaches are here for the players and it’s just one of those bumps in the road that you work through, handle as best as you can and you learn from it and you are a little bit wiser for the wear. He will be better for it, the team will be better for it and it’s time for him to get back in there playing.”

There’s a couple ways to interprete Wilson’s decision. Initially I wondered whether he was unhappy with his recent move to second base, but it’s also possible that he didn’t want his inexperience at the position to be a further liability for the team. For the Mariners’ sake, hopefully it’s the latter.

1. IdahoMariner - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:16 PM

All of Wilson’s comments afterward made it sound like he was unhappy that he missed those two double plays, that he let Felix down and that he didn’t want to keep screwing up. He has said all the right things since being asked to move to second, but he has also been honest about not being totally comfortable actually playing the position — meaning, the way I’ve read his interviews, that he doesn’t want to screw it up, he’d rather play short because he’s a superior defender there (and totally comfortable, nothing to learn there), but he’s happy to do what helps the team. He has never struck me as a malcontent — but then, obviously, who knows what happens when the reporters aren’t around. I could see when you’ve been as good a defender at short as he has during his career, it would suck to feeling like a rookie again, feeling like you aren’t helping the team.

2. cur68 - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Just watching the Jays v Mariners. Wilson’s at 2nd; good for the Jay’s sake bad for Wilson. While I hope he has a good game, I hope the Jays win. Go Blue Jays!

• Old Gator - Apr 12, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Jays firmly in control of the Juan de Fucups over on the sunset side as I pack it in for the Eastern night. Meanwhile, notice the way the Razed shellacked Matsuzaka while Hellickson gagged them at the plate? This isn’t funny anymore. The Beanbags are really clueless in the early going. Early or not, you wonder if this is going to turn out to be The Worst Team Money Can Buy redux.

• cur68 - Apr 12, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Jeez Laweez Gator, you got that right; it aint even funny no more. Matsuzaka has got to go. The Sox got enough offense but no where like the pitching they need to back up the hometown newspaper’s bold predictions. It could be time to call up some Triple A talent to fill that spot. At least the Rays woke up and decided to join the rest of us in the regular season.
        Meantime, my Jays are indeed powning the Mariners. Pity the entire mariners team wasn’t named Ichiro Suzuki, because he seems to be all they got that can hit a ball. Good thing they make good commercials ’cause they aint playing good baseball.

• cur68 - Apr 12, 2011 at 2:03 AM

And in keeping with sod’s law; epic collapse by the Jays in the 8th and the Mariners come back to win it, from down 7-1; a walk of double in the 9th by Rodriguez. The back end of the bull pen really let them down. ATH is going to be just such a joy in the morning. aaaaaaaarrrrrggggggg…..

3. gostros19 - Apr 11, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Jack Wilson should never be out of anybodys doghouse. he gave up on his coaches and teammates. last i checked this isnt high school baseball

• Old Gator - Apr 12, 2011 at 12:05 AM

And from what I can tell by your punctuation and capitalization, this isn’t high school English either.

4. shawnuel - Apr 12, 2011 at 9:41 AM

All I know is that, if I make a very unwise choice and am truly repentant for that action, I am grateful for any grace extended me. It seems like that is what is happening here. Wilson is actually a joy to watch play. he has a metric TON of enthusiasm for the game and, just what I’ve gleaned from watching, both at Safeco and on TV, is that he is hard on himself and very loyal to whoever he plays with. I’m sure he just made an unwise judgement call in the heat of the moment. Wedge sounds very measured about the whole thing. If it is true that he will not hold a grudge, then this should be the last we hear about this.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3388)