Apr 11, 2011, 9:04 PM EDT
Mariners manager Eric Wedge and Jack Wilson have apparently put their differences behind them.
Wedge didn’t hide his frustration after Wilson pulled himself from a game last Wednesday against the Rangers. He called Wilson’s decision “unspeakable,” among other things, and held him out of the lineup over the weekend.
However, following a conversation yesterday, Wedge has put Wilson back in the lineup for tonight’s game against the Blue Jays.
“We had another conversation yesterday and that’s it,” Wedge said. “That’s the end of it. I don’t hold grudges — never have, never will, don’t believe in them. The coaches are here for the players and it’s just one of those bumps in the road that you work through, handle as best as you can and you learn from it and you are a little bit wiser for the wear. He will be better for it, the team will be better for it and it’s time for him to get back in there playing.”
There’s a couple ways to interprete Wilson’s decision. Initially I wondered whether he was unhappy with his recent move to second base, but it’s also possible that he didn’t want his inexperience at the position to be a further liability for the team. For the Mariners’ sake, hopefully it’s the latter.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)