Apr 11, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
I have total faith that this will work out just fine and will last the entire season. Because I am an insane person:
The Yuma Scorpions announced today that Jose Canseco has been named as the Manager of the minor league baseball team for this coming season in the North American League. He will also play 1B or DH and will be the first fulltime player manager in professional baseball since Pete Rose held the similar position with the Cincinnati Reds in 1984 – 1986. In addition, his twin brother Ozzie will serve as his hitting/bench coach and will also play fulltime.
I think the most nuts thing about this isn’t the managing part or the Ozzie part. It’s the Jose-playing-first base part. I mean, even in the indie leagues they hit the ball on the ground in that direction.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (85)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (76)