Apr 11, 2011, 2:30 PM EST
I have total faith that this will work out just fine and will last the entire season. Because I am an insane person:
The Yuma Scorpions announced today that Jose Canseco has been named as the Manager of the minor league baseball team for this coming season in the North American League. He will also play 1B or DH and will be the first fulltime player manager in professional baseball since Pete Rose held the similar position with the Cincinnati Reds in 1984 – 1986. In addition, his twin brother Ozzie will serve as his hitting/bench coach and will also play fulltime.
I think the most nuts thing about this isn’t the managing part or the Ozzie part. It’s the Jose-playing-first base part. I mean, even in the indie leagues they hit the ball on the ground in that direction.
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 0
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 40
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (124)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)