Jose Canseco is a manager now. And Ozzie is his bench coach.

Apr 11, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT

ozzie and jose canseco

I have total faith that this will work out just fine and will last the entire season. Because I am an insane person:

The Yuma Scorpions announced today that Jose Canseco has been named as the Manager of the minor league baseball team for this coming season in the North American League.  He will also play 1B or DH and will be the first fulltime player manager in professional baseball since Pete Rose held the similar position with the Cincinnati Reds in 1984 – 1986.  In addition, his twin brother Ozzie will serve as his hitting/bench coach and will also play fulltime.

I think the most nuts thing about this isn’t the managing part or the Ozzie part. It’s the Jose-playing-first base part.  I mean, even in the indie leagues they hit the ball on the ground in that direction.

1. AK47 - Apr 11, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Hmm, I imagine there is going to be a reality-TV show announcement soon…

2. Matthew Flint - Apr 11, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Please use the ball bouncing off his head for all future Jose related stock photos. Thank you.

3. cur68 - Apr 11, 2011 at 2:50 PM

So, what’s the over under on how long before one or the other of the Canseco lads gets beaned or in someway injured by a ball? II bet age and high living has not improved their reflexes any.

4. sknut - Apr 11, 2011 at 3:01 PM

So is Ozzie going to go argue with the Umps for Jose and will the Umps know which is the right one to eject?

5. Old Gator - Apr 11, 2011 at 3:10 PM

It could have been much worse. They could have made him a driving instructor.

6. shaggylocks - Apr 11, 2011 at 3:12 PM

This is exactly what the Yuma Scorpions needed: the unholy stench of desperation.

7. Jeremiah Graves - Apr 11, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Fun Fact: The Yuma Scorpions website currently lists the manager for 2011 as (and you cannot make this shit up) “Cuban Strongman.” I get that the whole thing is a publicity stunt, but to give him a sideshow attraction nickname seems a bit, um, much.

…really?!

I mean…really?!

Website: http://www.yumascorpions.com/view/yumascorpions/team/alumni-77

• Jeremiah Graves - Apr 11, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Color me not surprised, but it has now been updated and says Jose Canseco.

Here’s a screenshot of the original: http://i.imgur.com/xlPva.jpg

I love how seriously they’re taking this endeavor.

8. Jonny 5 - Apr 11, 2011 at 3:30 PM

If I were an actual Yuma Scorpion, I’d hate this bit of news. Knowing Conseco he probably sees this as his last chance to get back to the Major leagues. He’s going to be a spaz, and he’s going to try too hard. I guess the real 1st baseman is screwed too.

9. Jonny 5 - Apr 11, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Coolest hat logo of all baseball by the way.

10. pisano - Apr 11, 2011 at 5:04 PM

“Jose Canseco is a manager now. And Ozzie is his bench coach.” The true meaning of “The inmates are running the asylum”

11. unlost1 - Apr 11, 2011 at 5:17 PM

well where is charlie sheen? can’t the wild thing join to make a perfect trinity?

Three legends off to Cooperstown