Apr 11, 2011, 7:45 PM EDT
Rays manager Joe Maddon told Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times earlier today that Manny Ramirez called him following his shocking retirement announcement Friday afternoon.
“He expressed disappointment in himself to me,” Maddon said, “but also had really high praise for us as an organization, as a group, so I felt pretty good about that.”
Asked if Ramirez apologized, Maddon said: “He just said he was disappointed, he didn’t necessarily apologize. And I wasn’t looking for an apology actually. I wasn’t. He spoke to me kinda like man to man, person to person, manager to player kind of a thing. So I didn’t think he owed me an apology.”
Ramirez doesn’t exactly come off as a sympathetic figure here. He foolishly failed his second (technically third) drug test, left a giant hole in the Rays’ lineup and didn’t even have the decency to speak with the team before making his decision official.
On a more playful note, Craig Robinson of Flip Flop Fly Ball has a must-click graphic of how much time Ramirez actually spent playing for the Rays. It’s not quite 10 minutes like Jonah Keri estimated, but it’s pretty darn close.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)