Manny Ramirez spoke with Joe Maddon on Friday

Apr 11, 2011, 7:45 PM EDT

Ramirez_Manny

Rays manager Joe Maddon told Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times earlier today that Manny Ramirez called him following his shocking retirement announcement Friday afternoon.

“He expressed disappointment in himself to me,” Maddon said, “but also had really high praise for us as an organization, as a group, so I felt pretty good about that.”

Asked if Ramirez apologized, Maddon said: “He just said he was disappointed, he didn’t necessarily apologize. And I wasn’t looking for an apology actually. I wasn’t. He spoke to me kinda like man to man, person to person, manager to player kind of a thing. So I didn’t think he owed me an apology.”

Ramirez doesn’t exactly come off as a sympathetic figure here. He foolishly failed his second (technically third) drug test, left a giant hole in the Rays’ lineup and didn’t even have the decency to speak with the team before making his decision official.

On a more playful note, Craig Robinson of Flip Flop Fly Ball has a must-click graphic of how much time Ramirez actually spent playing for the Rays. It’s not quite 10 minutes like Jonah Keri estimated, but it’s pretty darn close.

1. Kevin S. - Apr 11, 2011 at 8:01 PM

I wouldn’t say technically his third. “Allegedly” would be more appropriate. There’s zero corroboration for the claim that he’s on the list. Yes, his future failures make us more likely to believe said report, but inference is not confirmation.

• bigharold - Apr 11, 2011 at 8:09 PM

He’s got it backwards, it was his third technically his second failure.

Nevertheless, he’s been linked to PEDs for about half his career, .. which I think is the salient point.

• Kevin S. - Apr 11, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Actually, he’s been linked to PED’s at three moments in his career – the time of the three failed tests. Again, infer what you’d like, but there is no evidence that he was using at other times. It’s not like they had just figured out how to test for the drug he failed on in ’09. Maybe he wasn’t using before then. Maybe he just somehow beat the tests by cycling off at the right times until he failed. But we don’t actually know what it is.

• bigharold - Apr 11, 2011 at 8:47 PM

“Maybe he just somehow beat the tests by cycling off at the right times until he failed. But we don’t actually know what it is.”

That is 100% accurate, .. it can’t be known. One the other hand he’s not likely to get the benefit of the doubt after three incidents.

In fact it would be naive to think that he started using PEDS in 2003. At that time he was in the majors over nine years was a .314 life time hitter, averaging 35 HR and 119 RBIs and was advised that testing was coming. I doubt that even Manny was so detached he would have used them unless he truly thought he needed it.

Had he been associated with PEDs just the one time I think he could have been allowed some slack and he’s eventually made the HOF. But, a second AND third association will not do anything but morph him from baseball icon to baseball/general integrity punchline.

• Kevin S. - Apr 11, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I agree that he doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt. Like I said, people can infer what they will. I have a tremendous amount of distaste for that list, both because of how Gene Orza didn’t destroy it as contractually agreed upon because he was trying to weasel enough positives out to prevent the next level of testing from kicking in and the enormous government abuse of 4th Amendment rights its continuing existences represents, but that doesn’t mean people can’t grant it credence. I would say that just because a player is doing well doesn’t mean he won’t necessarily turn to PEDs. According to Game of Shadows, Bonds started taking them because he was jealous of McGwire. According to A-Rod, he started taking them because of the pressures he felt from his record contract. Neither player *needed* them when they started to take them, but they started taking them anyway.

2. cur68 - Apr 11, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Well so long Man-Ram. The Rays don’t needya after all. They are handing the “Best Team In Baseball” their collective a$$e$ even as I sit here and type. What would Man-Ram add to the Rays right now? A whole lot more booing, if Damon’s reception is any judge. That hole in the Ray’s linup seems to be filled nicely by anyone facing Dice-K’s Little League pitching. Matsuzaka was telegraphing his pitches and the Rays were KILLING him. Ramirez should have hung in there for this series, actually. He’d have left on a high just clobbering the hell out of Matsuzaka’s stuff. Seriously, it was like BP in the 3rd inning. I wonder how Man-Ram did against Wakefield? He’s in and looks like he’s aiming to emulate Schilling’s physique without Schillings power. Ray’s still creaming them; seriously how did Ramirez fare against Wakefiled?

• cur68 - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:43 PM

16-5 Rays. This was not a pretty game defensively and Manny Ramirez had nothing to do with it. I guess he gets a pass. Quite likely this is the best defense he could have played for the Rays.

3. smokehouse56 - Apr 11, 2011 at 9:38 PM

“So I didn’t think he owed me an apology.” Maddon must be nuts. What the hell can you say about a statement like that. He should be fired immediately.

• dfensfelix - Apr 11, 2011 at 9:46 PM

You should be fired immediately.

4. Chipmaker - Apr 12, 2011 at 12:04 AM

.059 — yeah, the ‘roids really helped.

5. BC - Apr 12, 2011 at 9:30 AM

He was done as a player anyway, PED’s or not. Ever since the 50-game suspension he’s stunk up the joint. Can’t play the field any more. Can’t hit. It was time to retire anyway. Go away Manny, and enjoy your 10% of HOF votes in 5 years.

6. rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 12, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Manny won two world series, had craZy stats and put fear in the pitcher.
    Oh Yeah, he has craZy money, I have a feeling Manny will be alright.I had
    a good time watching him and I only regret he never played for the Yankees
    in his prime, Washington Heights kid, the place would have been craZy.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey