Apr 11, 2011, 7:45 PM EST
Rays manager Joe Maddon told Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times earlier today that Manny Ramirez called him following his shocking retirement announcement Friday afternoon.
“He expressed disappointment in himself to me,” Maddon said, “but also had really high praise for us as an organization, as a group, so I felt pretty good about that.”
Asked if Ramirez apologized, Maddon said: “He just said he was disappointed, he didn’t necessarily apologize. And I wasn’t looking for an apology actually. I wasn’t. He spoke to me kinda like man to man, person to person, manager to player kind of a thing. So I didn’t think he owed me an apology.”
Ramirez doesn’t exactly come off as a sympathetic figure here. He foolishly failed his second (technically third) drug test, left a giant hole in the Rays’ lineup and didn’t even have the decency to speak with the team before making his decision official.
On a more playful note, Craig Robinson of Flip Flop Fly Ball has a must-click graphic of how much time Ramirez actually spent playing for the Rays. It’s not quite 10 minutes like Jonah Keri estimated, but it’s pretty darn close.
- Report: Cuban infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 1
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 12
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 10
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 142
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (144)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)