Marlon Byrd was caught stealing at a rather unfortunate time

Apr 11, 2011, 8:45 AM EST

Byrd_Marlon

The Cubs trailed the Brewers by one run in the ninth inning yesterday and they got their leadoff man — Marlon Byrd — on base.  And then, with a powerful hitter who had already stroked three doubles on the day at the plate, Byrd was … caught stealing.

Strange play to say the least. Who steals in that situation? So, naturally, the Chicago sporting press asked Byrd about it in the clubhouse after the game:

“Done,” he said. “Beat it. I respect you guys all the time, and we lose a close game like that and that’s the question you ask? Forget it. Beat it.”

What did he expect to be asked?  Allmans vs. Skynyrd?

To be fair to Byrd, he was in a tough spot. Before he told everyone to beat it he reluctantly and obliquely confirmed that he was given the steal sign by third base coach Ivan DeJesus. For his part, manager Mike Quade said that he didn’t put the steal sign on — or at least didn’t think he did — which could be a way of also suggesting that it was DeJesus who gave the sign. It’s entirely possible that DeJesus screwed up and neither his boss nor the player wanted to throw him under the bus. Whatever the case, Byrd is a standup guy who probably would have said so if he was out there freelancing.

All of which, by the way, makes me wonder how this plays out if Mark Cuban’s vision of the future comes to pass and there aren’t any reporters in the clubhouse asking uncomfortable questions. I assume nothing is said by team-controlled media, in which case all of us on the outside are left to assume that either Quade made a boneheaded move or Byrd was trying to spark something, however misguided it was. Then later, Cuban or someone in his position posts something about how everyone’s out to get his guys.

1. okobojicat - Apr 11, 2011 at 8:52 AM

I would guess there was a massive screwup in Byrd receiving the signs. At that level, on almost every play, a play is put on on almost every single pitch, and then later taken off by a second sign. Or the indicator was given but never the actual sign and Byrd misread it and thought it had been given, Or perhaps he saw a phantom indicator. Either way, somebody massively screwed up.

2. heffmessina - Apr 11, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Wow Craig way to write a Marlon Byrd post without mentioning how great the Phillies are. Did you even consider the fact that they have 4 aces before you wrote this? How about the fact that they won the World Series 3 years ago? It’s amazing how biased you are. 4 ACES!

• ukraineshaqfan - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:19 AM

had a good laugh here, thanks.

• dfensfelix - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Wow. This idiotic post brought to you by: drinking before noon.

3. Cran Boy - Apr 11, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Geez, heffmessina, you ought to read the comments to the Phillies posts here–Craig is regularly excoriated by the Philadelphia fanboys for being a Phils-hater. But more to the point, what in the world does a NL Central game have to do with the Phillies?

• Cran Boy - Apr 11, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Ah, wait, I get it. Ivan DeJesus went from the North Side to the Phils in the Sandberg deal. Some sort of metaphysical payback or something.

• cur68 - Apr 11, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Cran; well now I don’t know what to say. Obviously heff is poking fun at all the Pilthy Phans crying because Craig didn’t verbally ejaculate over their team in every post he does. The trouble is I can’t tell because of your subsequent 2 posts if you get that or not. The Sanberg comment is a tenuous connecting in relation to this AM so the hyperbole of the comment lends it comedic traction. The choices ahead of you now; explain the joke to me (and thus ruin it); carry on with the vague connections like they are relevant and thus string me along; explain earnestly why the Sandberg deal matters to yesterdays action and therefore re-hab the whole “WTF you on about heff/oh now I get it” line; or ignore me for asking too many questions in a convoluted way.

• Cran Boy - Apr 11, 2011 at 9:34 AM

cur68 – Right you are, I didn’t get the thrust of heffmessina’s post. Sorry, heffmessina!
        As for the Sandberg comment – what you said, cur68. (Is that a sufficiently vague non-answer?) Attempt at comedic traction.

• cur68 - Apr 11, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Thanks Cran, but FYI I’da strung me along. You are way too nice a person! :)

• mercyflush - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Marlon Byrd is a former Phillie.

• cur68 - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Have mercy, Mercy, I know. But WTF he’s got to do with pouring scented oils on the Phills over a game they had with the Braves when he was caught stealing while wearing a Cub’s uni is the question. The answer? Nuttin’. After all the Angel’s won last night so do we go ‘nyer nyer’ @ the Yankees because Bobby Abreu had something to do with it?

4. lar @ wezen-ball - Apr 11, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Not defending the Cubs here because, hey, I was *thrilled* to see Byrd get nailed on that stolen base attempt. Made Axford’s appearance that much easier.

But it probably should be noted that Byrd got nailed on an absolutely perfect throw from Kottaras. I haven’t seen the replay, so maybe there was a little room for error, but it didn’t feel like it from the stands. Kottaras very rarely throws a perfect throw, so I could see how someone might try to sneak one past him. Not that i’d do it in this particular situation…

5. halladaysbicepts - Apr 11, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Marlon Byrd is a former Phillies cast off. He would make bone headed decisions like this when he wore the red pinstripes. That’s why Philly got rid of him. Loser.

6. fishfan46 - Apr 11, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Thank God Marlon wasn’t a phillie when he made that play. We all know how violent their fans can be.

• halladaysbicepts - Apr 11, 2011 at 9:24 AM

That’s funny. He probably would have been tasered.

• mercyflush - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:01 AM

right, good thing he’s in Chicago. the fans there are never violent.

7. Jonny 5 - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I’m leaning towards Skynyrd but damn, that’s a close one. Why couldn’t it have been Kiss on that plane that ended the true Skynyrd?? WHY?????!!!

Dude, I like the steal. Had he made it? And a single past the infield were hit he’d have been the hero of the game, so whatever. I don’t like coaching after the fact, and I’m with Byrd here. BEAT IT! Sometimes that button push turns out good, sometimes bad, deal with it.

8. Gobias Industries - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Allmans.

9. ukraineshaqfan - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:56 AM

allman bros. v. skynyrd = in n’ out/ 5 guys v. big mac. Nothing against the big mac, but it is what it is.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 11, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Amen!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5200)
  2. M. Kemp (3582)
  3. J. Upton (2873)
  4. J. Kang (2869)
  5. C. McGehee (2761)
  1. W. Middlebrooks (2760)
  2. M. Morse (2440)