Apr 11, 2011, 7:08 PM EDT
7:00 PM: Rajai Davis, who had a huge spring for the Blue Jays before injuring his ankle on April 1, is expected to miss at least the next couple of games after aggravating the injury and leaving Sunday’s contest.
Davis returned from the original injury on April 5, but he wasn’t feeling 100 percent at any point and Saturday’s 14-inning game took a toll.
“I think the innings didn’t help,” Davis said. “Then with such a quick turnover, playing an early game, day game, not much time to rest it. Really tough on it when it’s still healing.”
Davis, who is known for his blazing speed, stunned everyone by collecting four homers and eight doubles in 63 at-bats this spring. He hit .333/.386/.714 overall. However, the regular season has been a different story, as he was 5-for-32 with just one extra-base hit and nine strikeouts before exiting Sunday. That gave him a .156/.156/.188 line.
With Davis sidelined, Corey Patterson is slated to play center field for the Jays.
- So that Juan Uribe to the Braves trade is back on … 0
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 13
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 68
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)