Apr 11, 2011, 7:08 PM EST
7:00 PM: Rajai Davis, who had a huge spring for the Blue Jays before injuring his ankle on April 1, is expected to miss at least the next couple of games after aggravating the injury and leaving Sunday’s contest.
Davis returned from the original injury on April 5, but he wasn’t feeling 100 percent at any point and Saturday’s 14-inning game took a toll.
“I think the innings didn’t help,” Davis said. “Then with such a quick turnover, playing an early game, day game, not much time to rest it. Really tough on it when it’s still healing.”
Davis, who is known for his blazing speed, stunned everyone by collecting four homers and eight doubles in 63 at-bats this spring. He hit .333/.386/.714 overall. However, the regular season has been a different story, as he was 5-for-32 with just one extra-base hit and nine strikeouts before exiting Sunday. That gave him a .156/.156/.188 line.
With Davis sidelined, Corey Patterson is slated to play center field for the Jays.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)