Apr 11, 2011, 7:08 PM EDT
7:00 PM: Rajai Davis, who had a huge spring for the Blue Jays before injuring his ankle on April 1, is expected to miss at least the next couple of games after aggravating the injury and leaving Sunday’s contest.
Davis returned from the original injury on April 5, but he wasn’t feeling 100 percent at any point and Saturday’s 14-inning game took a toll.
“I think the innings didn’t help,” Davis said. “Then with such a quick turnover, playing an early game, day game, not much time to rest it. Really tough on it when it’s still healing.”
Davis, who is known for his blazing speed, stunned everyone by collecting four homers and eight doubles in 63 at-bats this spring. He hit .333/.386/.714 overall. However, the regular season has been a different story, as he was 5-for-32 with just one extra-base hit and nine strikeouts before exiting Sunday. That gave him a .156/.156/.188 line.
With Davis sidelined, Corey Patterson is slated to play center field for the Jays.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (251)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)