Apr 11, 2011, 3:14 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman suffered an abdominal strain while sliding into second base Saturday and finished the game, but he sat out yesterday’s win over the Mets and now Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that he’ll be placed on the disabled list tomorrow following the Nationals’ off day.
Zimmerman missed part of spring training with a groin injury, but has hit .357 with a 1.022 OPS through nine games. Alex Cora replaced him in the lineup Sunday and appears likely to get most of the playing time at third base in his absence, which is a pretty big indictment of the Nationals’ depth.
Cora is 35 years old and has hit .233 with a .299 on-base percentage and .295 slugging percentage in 153 games since the beginning of 2009. Jerry Hairston Jr. is another option and left fielder Mike Morse played quite a bit of third base in the minors.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)