Apr 11, 2011, 3:14 PM EST
Ryan Zimmerman suffered an abdominal strain while sliding into second base Saturday and finished the game, but he sat out yesterday’s win over the Mets and now Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that he’ll be placed on the disabled list tomorrow following the Nationals’ off day.
Zimmerman missed part of spring training with a groin injury, but has hit .357 with a 1.022 OPS through nine games. Alex Cora replaced him in the lineup Sunday and appears likely to get most of the playing time at third base in his absence, which is a pretty big indictment of the Nationals’ depth.
Cora is 35 years old and has hit .233 with a .299 on-base percentage and .295 slugging percentage in 153 games since the beginning of 2009. Jerry Hairston Jr. is another option and left fielder Mike Morse played quite a bit of third base in the minors.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)