Apr 11, 2011, 3:14 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman suffered an abdominal strain while sliding into second base Saturday and finished the game, but he sat out yesterday’s win over the Mets and now Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that he’ll be placed on the disabled list tomorrow following the Nationals’ off day.
Zimmerman missed part of spring training with a groin injury, but has hit .357 with a 1.022 OPS through nine games. Alex Cora replaced him in the lineup Sunday and appears likely to get most of the playing time at third base in his absence, which is a pretty big indictment of the Nationals’ depth.
Cora is 35 years old and has hit .233 with a .299 on-base percentage and .295 slugging percentage in 153 games since the beginning of 2009. Jerry Hairston Jr. is another option and left fielder Mike Morse played quite a bit of third base in the minors.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming