Apr 11, 2011, 3:14 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman suffered an abdominal strain while sliding into second base Saturday and finished the game, but he sat out yesterday’s win over the Mets and now Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that he’ll be placed on the disabled list tomorrow following the Nationals’ off day.
Zimmerman missed part of spring training with a groin injury, but has hit .357 with a 1.022 OPS through nine games. Alex Cora replaced him in the lineup Sunday and appears likely to get most of the playing time at third base in his absence, which is a pretty big indictment of the Nationals’ depth.
Cora is 35 years old and has hit .233 with a .299 on-base percentage and .295 slugging percentage in 153 games since the beginning of 2009. Jerry Hairston Jr. is another option and left fielder Mike Morse played quite a bit of third base in the minors.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)