Apr 11, 2011, 9:12 AM EST
Not long ago we passed along a story about how interest in baseball is down among America’s youth and how little league participation is declining. Not so in San Francisco where Giants-inspired enthusiasm has leagues overflowing and a shortage of coaches and fields:
The leagues are struggling to find enough fields for games and practices. San Francisco Little League controls three fields on Treasure Island, a windswept former Navy base in San Francisco Bay just off the Bay Bridge, and is seeking more from the city’s parks department. In addition, more players mean a need for more coaches. “We had to twist some arms,” said Bill Johnston, the commissioner of Mill Valley Little League’s minors division.
San Francisco is shipping kids up to Mill Valley in Marin County to play. Which is a problem because Mill Valley is itself seeing an overflow of players. Rather than fear the beard, the Bay Area’s youth were lured in by it.
I don’t know that this is terribly significant for that whole “kids aren’t into baseball anymore” thing, but it is certainly indicative of how baseball is an extremely local sport and how what’s going on on a national scale, be it in TV ratings or cultural dynamics or anything, is not the whole story. Not by a long shot.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)