Apr 11, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
Not long ago we passed along a story about how interest in baseball is down among America’s youth and how little league participation is declining. Not so in San Francisco where Giants-inspired enthusiasm has leagues overflowing and a shortage of coaches and fields:
The leagues are struggling to find enough fields for games and practices. San Francisco Little League controls three fields on Treasure Island, a windswept former Navy base in San Francisco Bay just off the Bay Bridge, and is seeking more from the city’s parks department. In addition, more players mean a need for more coaches. “We had to twist some arms,” said Bill Johnston, the commissioner of Mill Valley Little League’s minors division.
San Francisco is shipping kids up to Mill Valley in Marin County to play. Which is a problem because Mill Valley is itself seeing an overflow of players. Rather than fear the beard, the Bay Area’s youth were lured in by it.
I don’t know that this is terribly significant for that whole “kids aren’t into baseball anymore” thing, but it is certainly indicative of how baseball is an extremely local sport and how what’s going on on a national scale, be it in TV ratings or cultural dynamics or anything, is not the whole story. Not by a long shot.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 8
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 34
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)