Apr 11, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Ryan Franklin has blown three saves in four chances this season, allowing a total of four runs in 3.2 innings, but yesterday manager Tony La Russa made it clear that he’s sticking with the 38-year-old right-hander as the Cardinals’ closer:
I don’t see anything that’s changed between anybody that’s his competition. … Somebody’s got to come up with somebody that’s better on our club right now. The fact is that right now those young guys aren’t better.
Matthew Leach of MLB.com notes that two of the blown saves came in part because the defense didn’t make plays behind Franklin, but he’s allowed opponents to hit .353 with a .588 slugging percentage while already coughing up more leads than he did in all of 2010.
With that said, making sweeping changes based on what essentially boils down to 20 bad plate appearances rarely makes sense and Franklin had been an excellent reliever for St. Louis in each of the past four seasons. He deserves a chance to turn things around, but if not La Russa indirectly mentioned Miguel Batista, Mitchell Boggs, and Jason Motte as potential alternatives. For the sake of Cardinals fans, let’s hope he wouldn’t actually hand ninth-inning duties to Batista.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)