Apr 12, 2011, 9:15 PM EDT
Moore suffered the injury in the eighth inning of last Wednesday’s game against the Rangers while trying to chase after a ball in the dirt. There was some hope that he would be able to return within eight weeks, but today’s surgery means that his season is effectively over.
The knee injury is just the latest blow for the development of the 26-year-old backstop. While Moore owns a healthy .303/.368/.482 batting line over parts of five seasons in the minors, he has a meager .197 batting average over his first 248 major league plate appearances. He also finished third in the American League with seven passed balls last season, despite only playing 59 games behind the plate.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 24
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 67
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 73
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 30
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)