Apr 12, 2011, 9:15 PM EDT
Moore suffered the injury in the eighth inning of last Wednesday’s game against the Rangers while trying to chase after a ball in the dirt. There was some hope that he would be able to return within eight weeks, but today’s surgery means that his season is effectively over.
The knee injury is just the latest blow for the development of the 26-year-old backstop. While Moore owns a healthy .303/.368/.482 batting line over parts of five seasons in the minors, he has a meager .197 batting average over his first 248 major league plate appearances. He also finished third in the American League with seven passed balls last season, despite only playing 59 games behind the plate.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 3
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)