Apr 12, 2011, 9:15 PM EDT
Moore suffered the injury in the eighth inning of last Wednesday’s game against the Rangers while trying to chase after a ball in the dirt. There was some hope that he would be able to return within eight weeks, but today’s surgery means that his season is effectively over.
The knee injury is just the latest blow for the development of the 26-year-old backstop. While Moore owns a healthy .303/.368/.482 batting line over parts of five seasons in the minors, he has a meager .197 batting average over his first 248 major league plate appearances. He also finished third in the American League with seven passed balls last season, despite only playing 59 games behind the plate.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17