Apr 12, 2011, 9:15 PM EST
Moore suffered the injury in the eighth inning of last Wednesday’s game against the Rangers while trying to chase after a ball in the dirt. There was some hope that he would be able to return within eight weeks, but today’s surgery means that his season is effectively over.
The knee injury is just the latest blow for the development of the 26-year-old backstop. While Moore owns a healthy .303/.368/.482 batting line over parts of five seasons in the minors, he has a meager .197 batting average over his first 248 major league plate appearances. He also finished third in the American League with seven passed balls last season, despite only playing 59 games behind the plate.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)