Apr 12, 2011, 9:15 PM EST
Moore suffered the injury in the eighth inning of last Wednesday’s game against the Rangers while trying to chase after a ball in the dirt. There was some hope that he would be able to return within eight weeks, but today’s surgery means that his season is effectively over.
The knee injury is just the latest blow for the development of the 26-year-old backstop. While Moore owns a healthy .303/.368/.482 batting line over parts of five seasons in the minors, he has a meager .197 batting average over his first 248 major league plate appearances. He also finished third in the American League with seven passed balls last season, despite only playing 59 games behind the plate.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)