Apr 12, 2011, 12:51 PM EDT
I’m glad to see that prominent media members are starting to focus on the fact that Bob Davidson is one of the worst and definitely the most confrontational umpire in baseball.
Last year Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post Dispatch ripped into Davidson with a well-done column describing the umpire’s lengthy history of wrong calls and attention-seeking behavior, and now John Lott of the National Post has penned a similar column following Davidson’s latest “incident” with the Blue Jays yesterday.
Lott notes that Davidson led all MLB umpires with 10 ejections last season, points out his incredible propensity to call balks on pitchers, and explains how his tendency to “squat” more than any other umpire leads to a questionable strike zone when he’s behind the plate.
I can’t even begin to count the number of times over the years I’ve heard of an umpire-related incident and been right assuming it involved Davidson. Being a bad umpire is one thing, but being aggressively bad is what really drives me–and an increasing number of people, apparently–crazy when it comes to Davidson.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 23
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 28
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Indians place starter Carlos Carrasco on 15-day disabled list with right shoulder discomfort 1
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)