Apr 12, 2011, 11:09 AM EDT
It’s going to be a weird scene at Nats Park tonight for two reasons: 1. Jayson Werth is facing the Phillies for the first time since he signed his mega-deal with the Nats; and 2. Because it’s the Phillies in Washington, the park will likely be full of Philly fans invading the place like they did last year.
Which has me thinking that we have a two-tiered ethical question:
1. Is it acceptable to boo the guy who left the team for a ridiculous contract that your team never would have ever offered him?; and
2. Even if the answer is yes, is it acceptable to boo him in his own home park which you and several thousand of your friends happen to be invading?
It seems to me that booing Werth would more acceptable if he somehow truly spurned the Phillies, but the kind of money the Nats gave him was insane. Ruben Amaro would have been making a huge mistake to offer Werth that kind of cash, so Phillies fans should have a hard time holding it against him.
Likewise, it’s one thing to come to another team’s park like the Phillies fans do en masse — hey, if Nats fans don’t like it they can buy more tickets — but to boo in that park, on potentially dubious grounds?
Hmmm … it’s times like this when we need Emily Post to weigh in.
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 2
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 37
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)