Apr 12, 2011, 11:09 AM EST
It’s going to be a weird scene at Nats Park tonight for two reasons: 1. Jayson Werth is facing the Phillies for the first time since he signed his mega-deal with the Nats; and 2. Because it’s the Phillies in Washington, the park will likely be full of Philly fans invading the place like they did last year.
Which has me thinking that we have a two-tiered ethical question:
1. Is it acceptable to boo the guy who left the team for a ridiculous contract that your team never would have ever offered him?; and
2. Even if the answer is yes, is it acceptable to boo him in his own home park which you and several thousand of your friends happen to be invading?
It seems to me that booing Werth would more acceptable if he somehow truly spurned the Phillies, but the kind of money the Nats gave him was insane. Ruben Amaro would have been making a huge mistake to offer Werth that kind of cash, so Phillies fans should have a hard time holding it against him.
Likewise, it’s one thing to come to another team’s park like the Phillies fans do en masse — hey, if Nats fans don’t like it they can buy more tickets — but to boo in that park, on potentially dubious grounds?
Hmmm … it’s times like this when we need Emily Post to weigh in.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 57
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 22
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 33
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)