Apr 12, 2011, 11:09 AM EST
It’s going to be a weird scene at Nats Park tonight for two reasons: 1. Jayson Werth is facing the Phillies for the first time since he signed his mega-deal with the Nats; and 2. Because it’s the Phillies in Washington, the park will likely be full of Philly fans invading the place like they did last year.
Which has me thinking that we have a two-tiered ethical question:
1. Is it acceptable to boo the guy who left the team for a ridiculous contract that your team never would have ever offered him?; and
2. Even if the answer is yes, is it acceptable to boo him in his own home park which you and several thousand of your friends happen to be invading?
It seems to me that booing Werth would more acceptable if he somehow truly spurned the Phillies, but the kind of money the Nats gave him was insane. Ruben Amaro would have been making a huge mistake to offer Werth that kind of cash, so Phillies fans should have a hard time holding it against him.
Likewise, it’s one thing to come to another team’s park like the Phillies fans do en masse — hey, if Nats fans don’t like it they can buy more tickets — but to boo in that park, on potentially dubious grounds?
Hmmm … it’s times like this when we need Emily Post to weigh in.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)