Josh Hamilton out 6-8 weeks with fractured humerus

Apr 12, 2011, 6:24 PM EST

Josh Hamilton injury Getty Images

Update: Hamilton is out six-to-eight weeks with a non-displaced fracture of the humerus bone, FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports.

///

While preliminary tests Tuesday showed no dislocation of Josh Hamilton‘s right shoulder, the Rangers were concerned enough to send the 2010 AL MVP for an MRI. According to ESPNDallas.com’s Richard Durrett, Hamilton will be placed on the disabled list with the injury.

Hamilton wore a sling to protect the shoulder after exiting Tuesday’s game against the Tigers in the first inning. He was injured sliding headfirst into home plate.

After the game, Hamilton put some of the blame on third-base coach Dave Anderson for sending him after Anderson noticed that the pitcher wasn’t covering home plate on the foul popup.

“I listened to my third base coach,” Hamilton said. “That’s a little too aggressive. The whole time I was watching the play I was listening. [He said], ‘Nobody’s at home, nobody’s at home.’ I was like, ‘Dude, I don’t want to do this. Something’s going to happen.’ But I listened to my coach. And how do you avoid a tag the best, by going in headfirst and get out of the way and get in there. That’s what I did.”

With Hamilton likely to miss at least a couple of weeks, the Rangers will play David Murphy regularly in left field. The news also bodes well for .160-hitting Julio Borbon, who no longer has as much to worry about as far as playing time in center.

1. Loren - Apr 12, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Wow. Hamilton really threw his coach under the bus there.

• purdueman - Apr 13, 2011 at 5:54 AM

BUMP!

• rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 13, 2011 at 5:41 PM

yeah, but he is also laid up for 6-8 weeks, who do you Ryan is pissed at????

• rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 13, 2011 at 5:42 PM

it should read, who do you think Nolan Ryan will be pissed at?

2. clydeserra - Apr 12, 2011 at 6:46 PM

That quote is really weak.

3. cur68 - Apr 12, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Too bad he broke the bone, but I don’t think its the coach’s fault, just bad luck. If you play baseball sliding head or feet first is risky to the joints and bones but part of the job. He got unlucky, that’s all. Hamilton should stop whining; it was a decent baseball move to send him, no one expected he’d break something. After all he’s built like a superhero not a wee girl; how was the coach supposed to know he’d break his arm?

4. Panda Claus - Apr 12, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Ask Orioles fans what they think about head-first slides. The last one by Brian Roberts knocked him out too, though fortunately he didn’t break a bone.

5. jsarge99 - Apr 12, 2011 at 8:47 PM

This isn’t funny at all.

6. APBA Guy - Apr 12, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Readers of the comments section may recall my opinion from Spring training that the AL West will be decided by injuries. I referred to it at the time as Battle of the Team Physicians. Oakland started the bidding with Andrew Bailey’s forearm strain, and Texas has now seen that and raised with Hamilton’s broken arm. Both teams are loaded with injury-waiting-to-happen players. How fast the key guys come back and how well the teams cope with the injuries will determine the eventual division winner. Hamilton’s injury is unfortunate for him and the Rangers, but it won’t be their last this season. And trust me, every time Mr. Anderson takes the mound for Oakland, the fans are holding their breath, all 15 of us.

• marinersnate - Apr 13, 2011 at 1:56 AM

Yep. And since there are ONLY two teams in the AL West, it is all between Texas and, and Oakland? I am not implying that my M’s have a chance in crap here (at least not this year.. Your right.. Or next.) But I think that you may be forgetting the LA Angels of Anaheim, of LA, of California, of Orange County- whatever the heck their name is this year.

When I made my predictions before the season started (remember I watch the AL West daily), I had the Angels finishing second to Texas. Oakland a distant third. And fourth, well you know. I am not as big of a beleaver in the A’s rotation as most seem to be. The Angels’ have not hit yet. But they will. I am not sure the A’s will ever hit.

(People like to speak derogatorily of the Vernon Wells trade. Was it stupid? Of course it was, from a money stand point. But did it hurt their team on the field? No chance. Replacing Juan Rivera with Wells was a huge upgrade. Wells has not hit yet- ala Carl Crawford. But he will. If you are ownership and can afford to to take the hit in the pocketbook, yet it gives you a chance to win? Why not?)

The AL West is not a two horse race between Texas and Oakland. With Hamilton out untill June, the rest of the West better hope that the Angels’ do not start hitting. No matter their great start, Texas could find themselves 6-8 games back by the ASB. (I think the A’s will be further back than that, no matter who is leading.) Then a real horse race might start.

7. crankyfrankie - Apr 12, 2011 at 9:06 PM

I thought that part of being an adult is taking responsibility for ones own actions? If so maybe Josh can use the down time to learn to be a grownup. You slid head first and got hurt because the third base coach saw an opportunity to score a run at an unattended home plate and sent you. No reason to blame the coach for your injury. NONE!!! Sorry you are injured but be a grownup and own up to your action.

8. Glenn - Apr 12, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I just hope that he doesn’t need any pain killers. I’m not kidding. Maybe his fear of a relapse caused his unnecessary slander of his coach.

• frug - Apr 13, 2011 at 12:52 AM

With a non-displaced fracture that took an MRI to detect he should be able to survive on Advil and ice packs.

9. fishmatt - Apr 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Josh Hamilton is out 6-8 weeks with a broken humerus. Nothing funny about that.

10. purdueman - Apr 13, 2011 at 5:52 AM

Fox Sports “Pope Jon Paul” Morosi in another report said that you could “hear Hamilton’s shoulder pop”, and that he immediate cried out: “Oh my fuc&ing shoulder! Oh my fuc&ing shoulder!”.

Obviously this is terrible news for both Hamilton as well as Ranger fans, but it’s too late to undue what’s been done now. And to think that some dummies classify baseball as a “non-contact sport”.

11. xpensivewinos - Apr 13, 2011 at 7:43 AM

This guy has spent most of his life not taking responsibility for what has happened to him, so why start now?????

• paperlions - Apr 13, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Actually, he’s never blamed anyone but himself for his problems and he didn’t make any excuses….living a troubled life or making mistakes is not the same thing as not taking responsibility for those mistakes.
      A lack of accountability is not class specific, most people that wear suits have no ability whatsoever to to accountable or take responsibility for mistakes….it doesn’t pay in business or politics to admit to ones mistakes, even if everyone already knows what really happened….and people with something to lose won’t admit to anything if it might cost them something.

• paperlions - Apr 13, 2011 at 10:34 AM

hitting a little to close to home for comfort, eh?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2809)
  2. W. Myers (2567)
  3. D. Ross (2243)
  4. C. McGehee (2146)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1998)
  1. J. Shields (1909)