Apr 12, 2011, 6:24 PM EDT
Update: Hamilton is out six-to-eight weeks with a non-displaced fracture of the humerus bone, FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports.
While preliminary tests Tuesday showed no dislocation of Josh Hamilton‘s right shoulder, the Rangers were concerned enough to send the 2010 AL MVP for an MRI. According to ESPNDallas.com’s Richard Durrett, Hamilton will be placed on the disabled list with the injury.
Hamilton wore a sling to protect the shoulder after exiting Tuesday’s game against the Tigers in the first inning. He was injured sliding headfirst into home plate.
After the game, Hamilton put some of the blame on third-base coach Dave Anderson for sending him after Anderson noticed that the pitcher wasn’t covering home plate on the foul popup.
“I listened to my third base coach,” Hamilton said. “That’s a little too aggressive. The whole time I was watching the play I was listening. [He said], ‘Nobody’s at home, nobody’s at home.’ I was like, ‘Dude, I don’t want to do this. Something’s going to happen.’ But I listened to my coach. And how do you avoid a tag the best, by going in headfirst and get out of the way and get in there. That’s what I did.”
With Hamilton likely to miss at least a couple of weeks, the Rangers will play David Murphy regularly in left field. The news also bodes well for .160-hitting Julio Borbon, who no longer has as much to worry about as far as playing time in center.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 13
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 50
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)