Apr 12, 2011, 6:24 PM EDT
Update: Hamilton is out six-to-eight weeks with a non-displaced fracture of the humerus bone, FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports.
While preliminary tests Tuesday showed no dislocation of Josh Hamilton‘s right shoulder, the Rangers were concerned enough to send the 2010 AL MVP for an MRI. According to ESPNDallas.com’s Richard Durrett, Hamilton will be placed on the disabled list with the injury.
Hamilton wore a sling to protect the shoulder after exiting Tuesday’s game against the Tigers in the first inning. He was injured sliding headfirst into home plate.
After the game, Hamilton put some of the blame on third-base coach Dave Anderson for sending him after Anderson noticed that the pitcher wasn’t covering home plate on the foul popup.
“I listened to my third base coach,” Hamilton said. “That’s a little too aggressive. The whole time I was watching the play I was listening. [He said], ‘Nobody’s at home, nobody’s at home.’ I was like, ‘Dude, I don’t want to do this. Something’s going to happen.’ But I listened to my coach. And how do you avoid a tag the best, by going in headfirst and get out of the way and get in there. That’s what I did.”
With Hamilton likely to miss at least a couple of weeks, the Rangers will play David Murphy regularly in left field. The news also bodes well for .160-hitting Julio Borbon, who no longer has as much to worry about as far as playing time in center.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 35
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 23
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)