Apr 12, 2011, 6:24 PM EDT
Update: Hamilton is out six-to-eight weeks with a non-displaced fracture of the humerus bone, FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports.
While preliminary tests Tuesday showed no dislocation of Josh Hamilton‘s right shoulder, the Rangers were concerned enough to send the 2010 AL MVP for an MRI. According to ESPNDallas.com’s Richard Durrett, Hamilton will be placed on the disabled list with the injury.
Hamilton wore a sling to protect the shoulder after exiting Tuesday’s game against the Tigers in the first inning. He was injured sliding headfirst into home plate.
After the game, Hamilton put some of the blame on third-base coach Dave Anderson for sending him after Anderson noticed that the pitcher wasn’t covering home plate on the foul popup.
“I listened to my third base coach,” Hamilton said. “That’s a little too aggressive. The whole time I was watching the play I was listening. [He said], ‘Nobody’s at home, nobody’s at home.’ I was like, ‘Dude, I don’t want to do this. Something’s going to happen.’ But I listened to my coach. And how do you avoid a tag the best, by going in headfirst and get out of the way and get in there. That’s what I did.”
With Hamilton likely to miss at least a couple of weeks, the Rangers will play David Murphy regularly in left field. The news also bodes well for .160-hitting Julio Borbon, who no longer has as much to worry about as far as playing time in center.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)