Apr 12, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
That means he’ll remain in Chicago’s organization, but won’t take up a spot on the 40-man roster and can’t be called up again unless the White Sox add him to the roster first (in which case they’d have to waive him again prior to another trip to Triple-A).
Milledge’s stock has obviously plummeted in recent years, as he’s gone from one-time top prospect to clearing waivers at age age 26, but I’m still somewhat surprised that another team didn’t take a flier on him as a backup outfielder.
He’s a good defender in either corner spot who can fake center field for short stretches at a time, and while his overall offensive game hasn’t developed as hoped Milledge is a career .287 hitter with a .793 OPS versus left-handed pitching. As a fourth outfielder or the right-handed-hitting portion of a platoon, he’s still useful.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)