Apr 12, 2011, 1:22 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman is headed for the disabled list with an abdominal strain and Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington reports that the Nationals will replace him on the roster with Jesus Flores, which would give them three catchers along with Ivan Rodriguez and Wilson Ramos.
All three guys hit right-handed, so there isn’t really a natural platoon to be formed, and the Nationals have indicated recently that they’re committed to giving Ramos the majority of the action behind the plate because he’s passed Flores as the catcher of the future.
By adding a third catcher it allows manager Jim Riggleman to a) pinch-hit for a catcher without worrying about not having another catcher on the bench, and b) use Rodriguez more often at first base. The first thing is of marginal value and the second thing is of negative value, so while it’s nice to see Flores get back to the majors following two years of shoulder problems the move doesn’t make a ton of sense.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)