Power Rankings: with great power comes great responsibility

Apr 12, 2011, 5:38 PM EDT

Matt LaPorta, Austin Kearns

See, this is what I’m talking about when I say that Power Rankings are tricky things this early in the season.  I go and do something like put the Indians in the top 10 and all of a sudden we have bedlam:

LOS ANGELES OF ANAHEIM, CA—Since the Indians are a consensus  Top 10 Most Powerful Power Team, as determined by the power rankings at NBC SportsMLB.com, and ESPN, no member of the active roster can be forced to wear pants at any time in the upcoming week, including during game action. Most players seemed uninterested in exercising their new right but closer Chris Perez said he’d “consider it, depending on the weather and how my cleats look without pants and stuff.”

And it just goes on and on like that.

All we can hope for is that the Tribe keeps losing. Because if they win and if I have to put them in the top three or something there’s no telling what those crazy S.O.B.s will do.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 12, 2011 at 5:44 PM

It takes brass balls to sell power rankings.

• tomemos - Apr 12, 2011 at 6:19 PM

A always, B be, R ranking. Always be ranking. ALWAYS be RANKING!

• ltzep75 - Apr 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Yeah, I used to be a baseball blogger. [/glug] Tough racket [/glug glug].

-or-

Put. The. Laptop. Down. Laptops are for Rankers.

-or-

They’re just sitting out there, waiting for you to give them their rankings. Are you going to give them their rankings? Are you man enough to give them their rankings?

2. halladaysbicepts - Apr 12, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I actually think the Tribe will probably have a better record than the Braves at the end of the season. Then they will be the true representatives of Native Americans for the sport of baseball. My reasoning is sound. Their roster has former Phillies organizational players as a result of the Cliff Lee trade. An organization like the Phillies breeds players who are successful wherever they go.

• Andrew - Apr 12, 2011 at 5:59 PM

An organization full of former Yankees is full of the Yankee spirit.

• halladaysbicepts - Apr 12, 2011 at 6:06 PM

And perhaps full of PEDs…

3. tomemos - Apr 12, 2011 at 5:59 PM

I’m extremely angry at you for not titling this “With Great Power Rankings Comes Great Responsibility.”

• madhatternalice - Apr 13, 2011 at 10:45 AM

did you miss it? don’t worry, he’ll say the line / again and again and again.

4. cur68 - Apr 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Oh great; brian the size of a planet and now I gotta pain in the diodes from seeing this. I’ve made it clear from the beginning; unless you look like Jessica Alba keep your damn clothes on. I promise all you writers if any member of a baseball team appears on my TV without their pants there will be hell to pay. That is all.

5. Lukehart80 - Apr 12, 2011 at 7:12 PM

This winning streak has been reminiscent of the incredible spring of 1676, when the team was still led by Metacomet.

6. loungefly74 - Apr 12, 2011 at 9:14 PM

gotta love baseball in April…where every team is a contender! well, except the royals.

• marinersnate - Apr 13, 2011 at 2:20 AM