Apr 12, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
8:48 AM: The Dodgers shut the Giants down yesterday, but now it looks like their shortstop is going to be shut down too: Rafael Furcal broke his left thumb sliding into third base in the fifth inning. He stayed in the game until he was pinch-hit for in the seventh, but he said that he knew it was broke as soon as it happened.
Frucal has had a number of injuries in recent years, including a recently-aching wrist, back problems, and hamstring problems. This one is going to put him on the shelf for six weeks.
Furcal hadn’t started hitting yet — he was five for his first 26 to kick off the season — but this is a pretty big loss for the Dodgers. Last year he hit .300/.366/.460 in 96 games. Jamey Carroll, who has started the season off with a hot bat, will take his place. Carroll is no spring chicken — he’s my age for cryin’ out loud — so the Dodgers may soon make a move for some infield depth. In the short term, however, they’ll probably call up Ivan De Jesus, Jr. from Albuquerque.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)