And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

Apr 13, 2011, 5:58 AM EST

Jayson Werth

Nationals 7, Phillies 4: Heavy matchup. Both literally — Livan Hernandez vs. Joe Blanton — and figuratively as Jayson Werth faced the Phillies for the first time since he signed with the Nats. A signing that the Phillies fans who made the now-customary trek to Washington and decided to boo Werth throughout the game apparently wouldn’t have consummated if they were in Werth’s shoes because loyalty to some abstraction of what a Major League Baseball team is supposed to be is worth far more than the nearly $80 million that Werth would have sacrificed to stay in red pinstripes. Or something. Whatever the case, booing a guy who helped bring home what was only the second championship in the team’s 128 year existence and only left because it was clear that he’d be lowballed if he stayed makes no kind of freakin’ sense.  Oh, and Werth had a double and a home run. Booooo!!!!

Rays 3, Red Sox 2: And the Bosox are now 0-8 vs. non-Yankees teams and are now tied with the Rays for have the worst record in the AL.  When can we stop dropping the “it’s early, so …” before talking about the Red Sox?

Angels 2, Indians 0: Dan Haren put an end to the Indians winning streak with ath-or-i-tah, shutting them out on two one hit (sorry, I keep messin’ up today) and striking out eight. He and Jered Weaver are currently the most lethal one-two punch in baseball.

Braves 5, Marlins 0: Heyward and McCann homer and Tommy Hanson shuts the opposition down. Sort of the Platonic Ideal of a Braves game for fanboys like me.  And a lot of good defense from Alex Gonzalez and Dan Uggla, which is … like, whatever the opposite of the Platonic Ideal is. Platonic Gravy? Platonic Whatever, We’ll Take it?

Tigers 5, Rangers 4: The loss of the game is meaningless compared to the loss of Josh Hamilton, who will be out at least 6-8 weeks with a broken funny bone thanks to his head first slide into home. Well, maybe it was the slide. It’s possible that he broke his arm while throwing his third base coach under the bus when explaining how the play went down after the game.

Astros 11, Cubs 2: The James Russell: Starting Pitcher experiment did not achieve optimal results in its first cycle. Russell was tagged for five runs (four earned) on seven hits in less than two innings before making way for the pen to which he’ll likely be soon returning. After the bleeding stopped for a bit, Jeff Samardzija reminded us that he can’t really pitch and John Grabow got rocked too. For Houston, Angel Sanchez and Hunter Pence went nuts, combining to go 7 for 10 with six RBI.

Twins 4, Royals 3: Pop quiz, hot shot! You’re on the road, tied 3-3 in extra innings. After retiring the first batter in the 10th, you change pitchers. The new guy loads the bases with a walk and two singles, one of which was a freakin’ blast. You have arguably the second best closer in all of baseball in your pen, coming off an off-day. What do you do, hot shot? What do you do?!  Well, if you’re Ned Yost you leave Joakim Soria in the pen, let Robinson Tejada pitch and he gives up one more hit, losing the game. Which is not how I would have handled it, but what the hell do I know? I’m just speculatin’ on a hypothesis here.

White Sox 6, Athletics 5: Two homers and four RBI for Alexi Ramirez, including the game-winning bomb in the bottom of the 10th. This makes up for the error he made in the fifth that led to an Oakland run, I’d say.

Diamondbacks, 13, Cardinals 8: Three run homers from Justin Upton and Juan Miranda led the onslaught. Oh, and did Aaron not tell you yesterday that umpire Bob Davidson’s act was getting tired? Ask Kirk Gibson about that.

Giants 5, Dodgers 4: Check out the leather from Linceucm. Didn’t get the win, though, as Jeremy Affeldt vultured it from him when he allowed a game-tying homer in the seventh but then hung on as the pitcher of record in the bottom of the inning when the Giants took the lead for good. Brian Wilson gets his first save of the year.

Reds 8, Padres 2: Remember how awesome the Padres bullpen was last year? Yeah, well you sort of lose any claim to awesomeness when you give up six runs in the 11th inning. Not that it should have gotten that far. The Padres lost chances to win when they were met with a sick defensive play by Jay Bruce in the ninth and again when they squandered a one-out bases loaded situation in the 10th, again with help from the Cincinnati leather. Well, a Cincinnati misplay-but-recovery on a ball resulting in what at least looked like good leather if you didn’t see the initial misplay.

Mariners 3, Blue Jays 2: Michael Pineda wins his second major league start in impressive fashion, taking a shutout into the eighth inning while striking out seven.

Rockies vs. Mets, Orioles vs. Yankees and Brewers vs. Pirates: POSTPONED:  April is the cruelest month, breeding Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing Memory and desire, stirring Dull roots with spring rain.

1. indaburg - Apr 13, 2011 at 6:17 AM

Craig, the Rays and the Red Sox are not tied for the worst record in the AL. It isn’t a huge difference but the Rays are 3 – 8 and the Sox are 2 – 9. The Sox are in last place all by their lonesome (and have the worst record in MLB). I know the Sox have been playing badly, but as a Rays fan, these last two nights have been extremely satisfying.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 13, 2011 at 6:21 AM

Oops. My bad!

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 13, 2011 at 1:28 PM

And it will be the only satisfaction that you will have all season.

2. phukyouk - Apr 13, 2011 at 6:41 AM

and according to MLB.com haren only gave up one hit not 2 and Hamilton threw his 3rd base coach under the bus not first ( as per previous hbt articles)

3. uyf1950 - Apr 13, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Good morning everyone. Because our fearless leader Craig has asked if we could stop dropping the “it’s early, so …” I will refrain from saying that here. Instead I will just say “I know it’s only 11 games into season” and while Red Sox fans should not panic they should at the very least be concerned perhaps even very concerned . That’s just my opinion.

Craig, I seen a couple of your earlier interviews here where you without hesitation thought the Red Sox were hands down favorites to not only win the AL East but also make it to the WS. Do you still feel that way…or has a little doubt crept into your mind?

• mckludge - Apr 13, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Platonic Gravy is my new Phish and Dead cover band.

• phukyouk - Apr 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM

While i am THOROUGHLY enjoying it i am not ready to count them out or even be worried. come back to me may 1st if they are under 10 wins.

• Old Gator - Apr 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I think “Be afraid, be very afraid” might be the better expression for the Beanbags at this point.

• uyf1950 - Apr 13, 2011 at 12:28 PM

phukyouk, my friend all I’m saying is the Sox don’t want to let this thing get away from them. To a point where they are to far out of it and have to many teams to climb over to get back in the race.

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 13, 2011 at 1:29 PM

The Red Sox will not win 85 games or make the playoffs this year. The fans should be really concerned.

4. sastrokobis - Apr 13, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Thank you for this. I like this kind of subjects and exactly what is attached to all of them. I definitely want to find out more quickly.

5. Jonny 5 - Apr 13, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Hey, I saw some people in Phills gear giving Werth a big round of applause. Of course some people planted themselves in RF just to boo the guy..

As for the game. Big Joe is disappointing me. Someone feed him a cow leg or something.

Eddie Joost died. I thought no more Philadelphia athletics were alive. The only living member of the WS winning reds circa 1940.

Are the Red sox trying to rope a dope us all?

• Phillies Homer - Apr 13, 2011 at 10:29 AM

While Blanton’s performance has been disappointing… he historically has slow starts. Althought, I guess it makes sense since something with the mass of Joey B. should take awhile to get going.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM

too true.

6. icanspeel - Apr 13, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Technically the Padres bullpen is still awesome as it was Corey Luebke who gave up all 6 runs and he is only in the bullpen since Joe Thatcher is injured. Not that it helps much, but he is supposed to be a starter. Padres offense is terrible though, they should have won that game easily.

7. roadwearyaaron - Apr 13, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Did you see Brandon Phillips play to get the third out in the eighth? One of the best defensive plays from a second basemen I’ve ever seen and it kept the go-ahead run from scoring. It was pretty awesome.

• icanspeel - Apr 13, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Being a Padres fan it was painful to watch, but I tip my hat to Brandon Phillips because it was an awesome play. The Reds defense is pretty amazing

8. 4d3fect - Apr 13, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Snakes announcers sounded like they were in one of the suite’s showers.

Together.

Ick.

9. mplsjoe - Apr 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM

On Twins/Royals: Kubel’s “single” in the 10th was a blast which Jeff Francour should have caught. In fact, Francour did catch it, but it popped out of his glove. It should have been an error but for a hometown official scoring decision. Just sayin’.

10. unconventionalidiot - Apr 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Who’s Linceucm? And you thought Lincecum was hard to pronounce.

11. cur68 - Apr 13, 2011 at 10:41 AM

aaaaarrrrgggg! The pain in my diodes is getting worse! The Jays lost another close one and if anyone can think of a reason to blame the officiating in this one I’ll take it. Both you Mariner fans should be real happy. As far as I can tell Michael Pineda is a stud work horse. He threw pitches at 98mph for 8 innings. Or at least I was told that by Buck Martinez because Rogers Sports Net refused to put the pitch speed up till Brandon League came up to close it out in the 9th. Who the f*** cares how fast League threw?!! But, it looks like you got a closer. Typical; he’s a former Blue Jay, sigh. The story of the game was Pineda blowing fastballs by the Jays including the 2011 Chuck Norris Manly Guy front runner, Jose Bautista. I give Bautista a pass on this one; I do believe these are the first fastballs he’s seen in the regular season. Too bad for him they were lightening bolts. On the upside for the Jays, the broadcast combo of Martinez and Tabler made me laugh. If you’ve never heard theses two I suggest it. Its always amusing when they compare their own hitting prowess from back in the day to whomever’s up. Martinez has the best whiskey laugh on a broadcaster I’ve ever heard.

• Old Gator - Apr 13, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Boy, I hope the pain in your diodes doesn’t spread to your anodes. It’s tough enough to sit in a coach seat (especially on one of those mass-market Beaver Air* commuter jets) without your anodes acting up on you.

*They should have stuck to making snowmobiles.

• cur68 - Apr 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Hey their trains are no picnic either. Slow & uncomfortable, neither of which are endearing. They did, though, make a great skidoo.

• Old Gator - Apr 13, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Fair is fair. I forgot the Skidoo, and yeah, they were great. I used them to protract my adolescence until Craig uncorked Circling the Bases (which is what it should still be called; “Hardball Talk” has all the personality of a window clerk at the Motor Vehicle Bureau). The great thing about this blog, as opposed to the Skiddoo, is that my chances of colliding with a floating log (or with Cousin Ollie) are really minimal by comparison.

12. Old Gator - Apr 13, 2011 at 10:50 AM

The way the Feesh batters have been performing the last few games, they resemble nothing so much as a bunch of broad-backed hippopotamuses resting on their bellies in the mud. Though the lineup on paper seems firm to us, they are nothing more than flesh and blood. Flesh and blood is weak and frail, susceptible to nervous slumps, knowing all that if they fail they risk Scrooge McLoria salary dumps.

Okay, so what is it that’s beset the Feesh heeters thees week? That’s one run scored in the past 19 innings, folks. I don’t remember what they gave Dr. Glenn Barton in the “Dropper” episode of The Man and the Challenge that slowed his perception of things down so that he could grab an arrow by its shaft in mid-flight, but if it’s not on the PED list yet maybe they could give the Feesh batters some of the stuff so they could catch up to 83 MPH fastballs. Hanley and Stanton both in the lineup wore dog collars last night. When the Feesh signed Javier Vasquez, they said they hoped the declining veteran would have much to teach the team’s elvers and larvae, and indeed he must have: Anibal Sanchez and Chris Volstad both pitched just like Javier Vasquez the last two nights.

Dan Uggla was probably “trying too hard” last night – he’s batting .161 for the year, just about the same as Hanley, which must mean that despite all appearances Uggs has been dogging it himself!

• Alex K - Apr 13, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I LOL’d on this one.

13. Chris Fiorentino - Apr 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM

As I said yesterday, “He Shall Be Livan” seems to own the Phillies and he did last night. I took the time to look it up and he’s 12-10 with a 3.52 ERA against the Phillies in his career, which isn’t as good as I thought, but still not too bad. The fans booed Werth…so what. It gave them something to do one a night where the offense didn’t show up, Heavy B once again sucked, and even the bullpen which had been solid got touched up for a couple runs.

I know it is April, but I still wonder why Uncle Charlie feels the need to give the four aces an extra day of rest when he could have skipped Heavy B twice this month and kept them on regular rest. Heavy B SUCKS. Skipping him can’t affect him much considering how bad he SUCKS on regular rest. It’s not like I am worried…I just can’t stand the site of the guy on the mound.

• tomemos - Apr 13, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Wow, I never thought of the Elton John reference there–nicely done.

14. xmatt0926x - Apr 13, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I had no doubt that Livan was likely going to shut down the Phillies. He is the exact type of pitcher to do so with his 60 mph slop. What I found hard to believe was how any major league pitcher could surrender 6 runs to that Nationals lineup. They had 3 guys out of the lineup and Fat Joe still somehow managed to get beat up. As far as the booing, I’ll guess I’ll be the “insecure” and “irrational” Phillies fan who puts in a defense of some of the fans. The broadcast I was watching also showed fans who were cheering him and thanking him, but as we know when the media (including you know who) goes into it looking for only the boos, that is what you will find and it doesn’t fit the tired story too well to mention the fans that cheered for him.

15. Rollie - Apr 13, 2011 at 2:33 PM

WHY NO REDS LOVE…. EVER???

• Old Gator - Apr 13, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Well, speaking for myself, it’s because after a couple of years of dumping on horrible horsemeat and Velveeta sandwiches, I’d have to start saying snide things about Cincinnati chili and goetta if I began paying attention to the Reds.

16. macjacmccoy - Apr 13, 2011 at 8:41 PM

So the guy is allowed to bad mouth and talk crap about the team that gave him a chance when he was almost out of the league when no one else wanted him and gave him the opportunity to get healthy and become a better player and eventually a starter on a championship team with a fan base that idolized. The fan base isnt allowed to be upset with the guy because of that? No one is mad at him because he left they are made at him because the way he has whined, complained, and critized the team that gave him the platform to become a player who could get a $120+ million contract. Pat Burrell and Donovan Mcnabb didnt have nearly as good a relationship with Philly fans as Werth did but they got cheered when they returned because they left with respect.

I dunno how you can stick up for a guy when he gets booed when he did the same thing to the Phillies G.M. when they signed Lee. Or for the guy that showed he either has no backbone or self awareness by agreeing with a Nationals official by saying he hates the Phillies too. He either doesnt have a back bone for agreeing with him when he didnt or he has no self awareness by saying he hates the team that did so much for him.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4996)