Apr 13, 2011, 2:17 PM EST
Baseball America has released a midseason update ranking the top 50 prospects for June’s draft and Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon remains atop the list, but UCLA right-hander Gerrit Cole is gaining on him.
Rendon has been primarily a designated hitter so far because of a shoulder injury, but BA says it “doesn’t affect his long-term value.” Meanwhile, they describe Cole as “the only true challenger to Rendon as the possible No. 1 overall pick.”
Pittsburgh will pick first by virtue of an MLB-worst 57-105 record last season, with Seattle selecting second. You can see the rest of BA‘s top 50 list by clicking here.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)