Apr 13, 2011, 2:17 PM EDT
Baseball America has released a midseason update ranking the top 50 prospects for June’s draft and Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon remains atop the list, but UCLA right-hander Gerrit Cole is gaining on him.
Rendon has been primarily a designated hitter so far because of a shoulder injury, but BA says it “doesn’t affect his long-term value.” Meanwhile, they describe Cole as “the only true challenger to Rendon as the possible No. 1 overall pick.”
Pittsburgh will pick first by virtue of an MLB-worst 57-105 record last season, with Seattle selecting second. You can see the rest of BA‘s top 50 list by clicking here.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)