Apr 13, 2011, 2:17 PM EDT
Baseball America has released a midseason update ranking the top 50 prospects for June’s draft and Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon remains atop the list, but UCLA right-hander Gerrit Cole is gaining on him.
Rendon has been primarily a designated hitter so far because of a shoulder injury, but BA says it “doesn’t affect his long-term value.” Meanwhile, they describe Cole as “the only true challenger to Rendon as the possible No. 1 overall pick.”
Pittsburgh will pick first by virtue of an MLB-worst 57-105 record last season, with Seattle selecting second. You can see the rest of BA‘s top 50 list by clicking here.
- Miguel Cabrera ties Hank Greenberg with 331st career homer 0
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 11
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 8
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 5
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 2
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles