Apr 13, 2011, 9:35 AM EDT
While the Giants gave Aubrey Huff a vote of confidence following his adventures in right field following Opening Weekend, they’ve apparently seen enough. Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Brandon Belt has been shagging flies in right field and that Bruce Bochy is going to move him out there — and Huff back to first — sometime in the next few days.
It makes sense: while Belt hasn’t played in the outfield since he was in high school, his lack of finely-honed instincts can be compensated for somewhat by his speed and athleticism. After all, Huff’s instincts are poor too, and he lacks the speed.
Of course, Belt shouldn’t get too cozy out there. Given that he has utterly failed to hit so far this year — he’s currently sporting a line of .158/.256/.263 in 43 plate appearances — this may be more about getting Huff used to first base in anticipation of Cody Ross coming back from the DL and returning to right field. At which point it’s entirely possible that Belt is sent back down to Fresno for some seasoning.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (123)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona