Apr 13, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
Slusser notes that the infected sweat gland “makes swinging difficult” for Pennington, which explains why he unsuccessfully attempted to bunt for a hit in the 10th inning after coming off the bench in Sunday’s game.
Andy LaRoche played in Pennington’s place last night, drawing his third start of the season at shortstop despite never playing a single inning there in the majors or minors prior to this season.
UPDATE: Pennington is back in the lineup today after having the infected sweat gland drained. Lovely.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 77
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)