Apr 13, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
Slusser notes that the infected sweat gland “makes swinging difficult” for Pennington, which explains why he unsuccessfully attempted to bunt for a hit in the 10th inning after coming off the bench in Sunday’s game.
Andy LaRoche played in Pennington’s place last night, drawing his third start of the season at shortstop despite never playing a single inning there in the majors or minors prior to this season.
UPDATE: Pennington is back in the lineup today after having the infected sweat gland drained. Lovely.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45