Apr 13, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
Slusser notes that the infected sweat gland “makes swinging difficult” for Pennington, which explains why he unsuccessfully attempted to bunt for a hit in the 10th inning after coming off the bench in Sunday’s game.
Andy LaRoche played in Pennington’s place last night, drawing his third start of the season at shortstop despite never playing a single inning there in the majors or minors prior to this season.
UPDATE: Pennington is back in the lineup today after having the infected sweat gland drained. Lovely.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)