Apr 13, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
Slusser notes that the infected sweat gland “makes swinging difficult” for Pennington, which explains why he unsuccessfully attempted to bunt for a hit in the 10th inning after coming off the bench in Sunday’s game.
Andy LaRoche played in Pennington’s place last night, drawing his third start of the season at shortstop despite never playing a single inning there in the majors or minors prior to this season.
UPDATE: Pennington is back in the lineup today after having the infected sweat gland drained. Lovely.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)