Apr 13, 2011, 9:23 PM EDT
The Dodgers are making a couple of sweeping changes in the wake of the still-unsolved beating of Giants fan Bryan Stow that took place outside the gates of Dodger Stadium on Opening Day.
We’ve already touched on the “sea of LAPD blue” that will be seen around the park going forward. Now, according to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers have canceled six scheduled half-price alcohol games that had been featured on the club’s promotional schedule.
Food and soft drinks will still be available at half price, but beer and other alcoholic beverages will no longer be discounted for fear that cheap drunkenness might incite violence.
The Dodgers have also hired Los Angeles Police Chief Bill Bratton to review the stadium’s security measures and to provide advice on changes. Those findings will be discussed Thursday at a press conference.
It’s unfortunate that everything had to get so serious at one of baseball’s finest parks and that responsible drinkers are having a couple of good times spoiled, but the Dodgers had to do something to ensure the safety of their fans. And shutting down alcohol consumption altogether is simply never going to be an option.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead