Apr 13, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
Eddie Joost, an All-Star shortstop who starred for the Philadelphia A’s in the 1940s and 1950s, died yesterday at age 94.
Joost played 17 seasons in the majors but didn’t find consistent success until age 31, when he drew 100 or more walks in six consecutive seasons while posting a .391 on-base percentage with an average of 18 homers and 97 runs per year.
He’s a prime example of how focusing on batting average can significantly undersell a player’s value, as Joost’s excellent defense, strong power for a shortstop, and spectacular plate discipline more than made up for a lowly .239 career batting average.
Consider that Joost had six consecutive 100-walk seasons and the rest of the shortstops in the history of baseball have combined for 21 total 100-walk seasons. And from 1947-1952 he ranked tied for seventh with Yogi Berra among all American League players in Wins Above Replacement behind Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Larry Doby, Phil Rizzuto, Vern Stephens, and Lou Boudreau.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)