Apr 13, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT
“I let my emotions get ahead of thinking things through,” Hamilton said. “The more I think about it, the more I understand that I take responsibility for what happened because I had the choice not to go or the choice to go. I just appreciate Dave having confidence in my ability to think I could make that play.”
Is the sentiment as true to Hamilton’s true feelings as his previous statements were? You kinda doubt it. But I think there’s also another truth here: that Hamilton doesn’t say what he said about Anderson if he wasn’t frustrated.
4:00 PM: Yesterday Josh Hamilton blamed his third base coach, Dave Anderson, for the play at the plate in which Hamilton broke his arm. He said it was “stupid” to send him and that he knew better, but followed orders anyway.
He’s back at the park today and he has downgraded his assessment from “stupid” to “dumb.” But he’s not contrite about throwing Anderson under the bus:
“I threw him under the bus by telling the truth about what happened,” Hamilton said. “What do you want me to do, lie about it? People are going to blame who they want to blame.”
I suppose there’s a fine line between a polite, politic answer and a lie. But there’s also a fine line between candor and rudeness. I think Hamilton needs to figure out how to walk that line a bit better.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 12
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 45
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 90
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)