UPDATE: Josh Hamilton apologizes to Dave Anderson

Apr 13, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT

hamilton_josh

UPDATE: Josh Hamilton has apologized to Dave Anderson:

“I let my emotions get ahead of thinking things through,” Hamilton said. “The more I think about it, the more I understand that I take responsibility for what happened because I had the choice not to go or the choice to go. I just appreciate Dave having confidence in my ability to think I could make that play.”

Is the sentiment as true to Hamilton’s true feelings as his previous statements were? You kinda doubt it. But I think there’s also another truth here: that Hamilton doesn’t say what he said about Anderson if he wasn’t frustrated.

4:00 PM: Yesterday Josh Hamilton blamed his third base coach, Dave Anderson, for the play at the plate in which Hamilton broke his arm. He said it was “stupid” to send him and that he knew better, but followed orders anyway.

He’s back at the park today and he has downgraded his assessment from “stupid” to “dumb.”  But he’s not contrite about throwing Anderson under the bus:

“I threw him under the bus by telling the truth about what happened,” Hamilton said. “What do you want me to do, lie about it? People are going to blame who they want to blame.”

I suppose there’s a fine line between a polite, politic answer and a lie. But there’s also a fine line between candor and rudeness. I think Hamilton needs to figure out how to walk that line a bit better.

1. jasoncollette - Apr 13, 2011 at 4:04 PM

He needs to go re-read some of those bible passages about humility because he’s acting rather egotistical right now.

2. paperlions - Apr 13, 2011 at 4:04 PM

He’s just showing the types of leadership skills you can learn while on a team with Michael Young. If Young teaches these…er…young…Rangers anything, it’ll be that if something doesn’t go your way, you are supposed to complain to the media about it, not accept responsibility for it.

3. clydeserra - Apr 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM

When is MLB this going to put this on “Good Decisions by Mass Mutual”?

• paperlions - Apr 13, 2011 at 4:15 PM

LMAO…just got that email too did ya?

• clydeserra - Apr 13, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Yes, I did.

But why thumbs down? seriously. I don’t get it.

4. mattintoledo - Apr 13, 2011 at 4:11 PM

When somebody asked me if I thought Josh Hamilton is being a douche about this, I said yes. What does he want me to do, lie about it?

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 13, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Perhaps I’m playing devil’s advocate, but it was the coach’s fault, Hamilton broke a bone (i.e. extremely painful), and therefore he is probably hot-headed considering both of these things. Yes, he’s being harsh, but I’m not sure I can blame him for being pissed and saying what he feels. I’m betting he apologizes for it later, internally, but I’m not going to jump on him for being rightfully upset and saying what’s on his mind.

• JBerardi - Apr 13, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Nonsense. The coach didn’t tell him to break his arm, he told him to go home. Hundreds, if not thousands, of baseball players do that every year without breaking anything.

• luckywi - Apr 13, 2011 at 7:38 PM

You know, that is a valid point. The point was brought up last year, that it remains to be seen what kind of toll his history of drug abuse has had on his body. I think we are seeing a guy whose bones may be getting prematurely brittle. Broken ribs last year, broken arm this year. Hmm….

• tomemos - Apr 13, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Anyone can be hot-headed and burst out that same afternoon. Then you walk it back and apologize the next day and say how you were just frustrated. If you’re still hot-headed the next day, though, and you decline the opportunity to take back what you said, I think that’s on you.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 14, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I rest my case: http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=6345106

I’m not saying what he did wasn’t douchey, but I’m not skewering him for his comments like you folks (who aren’t in either one of their shoes by the way). I think everyone’s overreacting about this, just like Hamilton did.

6. cur68 - Apr 13, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I seriously thought Hamilton had more class than this. I mean, sure he said what he said in the heat of the moment. Now he come back, gets maybe a sense that he might have said something not kosher and rather than accept some measure of responsibility for what happened, keeps on with the same dumba$$ line? Perhaps someone should explain that he was asked to steal home not belly flop on the damn thing after being tagged out a foot and half from the plate. Hey hamilton; put on some boy underpants, for chrissake!

• JBerardi - Apr 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Hamilton isn’t about taking responsibility. The whole idea behind his recovery is that he isn’t in control of his actions.

• drmonkeyarmy - Apr 13, 2011 at 11:52 PM

That is nonsense. Please don’t speak about things you clearly have no concept of. One of the primary concept of recovery is taking responsibility for your actions and when you are wrong setting out to make it right.

• indaburg - Apr 13, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Josh is showing his true colors. He isn’t the contrite prodigal hero. He’s a self-centered prick who can’t admit that he is wrong. What kind of dumb@ss slides head first into home plate?

• indaburg - Apr 13, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Josh is showing his true colors. This is who he is. Not pretty.

7. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Apr 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I’m confused

Did the 3′rd base coach just do his job and relay info that nobody was covering home?

Or

Was the coach telling him to just- Go Go Go Go, and make sure you dive head first?

8. Gobias Industries - Apr 13, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Now Joshua, do you really want to criticize someone for the “stupid” or “dumb” decisions they make in this life? Are you sure you want to go down that road?

Of course, they could always replace Dave Anderson as the third base coach with Johnny Narron, but Narron’s already tied up with his gig as your “accountability partner”.

9. SmackSaw - Apr 13, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Hamilton is reactionary and only thinks on impulse? Pete Rose wouldn’t have gone in headfirst.

• hep3 - Apr 13, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Rose would have absolutely gone in head first because as Pete Rose himself admitted, it guarantees his picture will be in the paper.

10. paperlions - Apr 13, 2011 at 4:39 PM

The Rangers just lost their 2nd game in a row in the bottom of 9th inning after being tied late in the game…the best reliever (who should be in the rotation) didn’t see the field in either game. Is it okay to stop acting like Ron Washington has a clue yet?

• chrisdtx - Apr 13, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Devil’s advocate: you can’t use Feliz *every* time the situation calls for it, or else he’ll wind up with 130 appearances. And Washington isn’t managing that situation any differently than any of the other 29 managers would. This doesn’t make it right strategically necessarily, but it seems to me Washington gets called out on this more than other managers do.

• clydeserra - Apr 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM

at some point you have to use him

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 13, 2011 at 5:04 PM

There are definitely other managers that would have used Feliz correctly over the past two days AND last year in the playoffs. Washington f’d up. Feliz should get as many innings as possible for a reliever over the course of the season. He’s their best reliever! Use him or lose!

• cur68 - Apr 13, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Last I checked the guy who gave up the homer to Inge (who’d never hit a homer off him before) is a big league pitcher too. Has a ~ 2.6 ERA over 130+ games in 3 years. Good, eh? I’ve seen it written that Washington’s been bailed out by talent for his mistakes and the best thing he can do is sit on the pine and let the boys play. Well that’s what he was doing. Letting Darren Oliver and his tiny ERA play. Still his fault, eh? Guy can’t win, I guess.

I’d take Ron Washington over any manager you guys got on teams you root for. He wins more than they do, doing whatever the hell it is he’s doing, even if it means leaving Feliz in the pen more than you like. First series loss for the Rangers and it was a squeaker, too.

• paperlions - Apr 14, 2011 at 7:11 AM

Being a manager on a good team and being a good manager are different things. Washington is only one of those.

11. mattintoledo - Apr 13, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I bet the Texas catchers are glad Hamilton isn’t a pitcher. I wanted to throw a curveball on that HR pitch, but my catcher was like, “Fastball, fastball”.

12. jeffa43 - Apr 13, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Was it Dave Anderson who forced you to slide head first into home plate?

13. Cyn - Apr 13, 2011 at 5:18 PM

“but it was the coach’s fault”

The coach didn’t tell Hamilton to slide head first. Criticizing him for making a poor coaching decision if you think it is one is one thing but don’t blame him for something that isn’t his fault. Along with that, what kind of person throws their own coach to the wind that way? Does blaming his coach make him feel better about himself? It sure makes most everyone else think less of him.

14. oldfanpres - Apr 13, 2011 at 5:24 PM

What sort of dumba$$ slides head-first into home plate? The catcher’s armored!

15. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 13, 2011 at 5:31 PM

If Josh had ever learned how to slide we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

He seems terrified of being perceived as a “wimp”, saying repeatedly that he doesn’t want to play like a wimp or scale back his style. That is fine, but being the toughest guy on the DL doesn’t help your club win ballgames.

By the way Josh, if you had ever had a real job you would know better than to b**ch about your boss in public.

16. sanzarq - Apr 13, 2011 at 5:49 PM

What a jerk!!

17. trajanthe1st - Apr 13, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Josh is obviously a great player , but he gets hurt a lot. Has he completed a season without injury?

• rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 13, 2011 at 6:19 PM

well he won’t this year, the third base coach thought he was playing for the win in game 7 of the world series, in 6-8 weeks he will be fired.

18. aronmantoo - Apr 13, 2011 at 6:21 PM

You don’t slide head first into home plate and blame someone else….Baseball 101

• rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 13, 2011 at 6:59 PM

you do blame the coach when you get knocked out for
      6-8 weeks, Nolan will do the right thing and fire this fool.

• tomemos - Apr 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM

What, did the 3rd base coach do a judo throw on him? Hamilton broke his own arm. What coach did Hamilton blame for breaking his ribs last year?

19. xmatt0926x - Apr 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM

All we are seeing is the real Josh Hamilton. He’s a guy who’s praised for overrcoming his derelict former lifestyle simply because he plays the game well. It’s the small moments here and there that will show you someone’s true character and Josh Hamilton is showing everyone what he is really about. the 3rd base coach saw an opportunity to score a run when home plate was not being covered and he sent a “player” to try and score. Now he has to decide if a guy is likely to get hurt ina split second? So now Josh can’t be sent home on what may be a close play on a sac fly? What are the rules? Do they apply to all or just Josh Hamilton? Does Hamilton now not have to bowl over a catcher on a bang bang play at home on a sac fly? He threw his coach under the bus in a cowardly manner. End of story.

20. luckywi - Apr 13, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I like the idea he said what he thought. It may not go over well in the locker room, but I guarantee you if he didn’t go, the manager would have made some sanitized type of comment that he was sent by the third base coach, but didn’t “follow orders”. Good for Josh.

• tomemos - Apr 13, 2011 at 7:50 PM

And he would have played in today’s game, and almost all games for the next couple of months.

21. terryinsanantonio - Apr 13, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Hey Craig, is it lonely up there on your pedestal?

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 13, 2011 at 9:17 PM

And which pedestal would that be?

• mattintoledo - Apr 13, 2011 at 9:24 PM

It’s the pedestal where you climb up and don’t blame people for doing their job.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 13, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Not sure I follow: blaming someone for simply doing their job is a good thing? Josh Hamilton publicly calling out his base coach is a good thing? My view that one doesn’t publicly air disagreements re: the approach to the job in the way Hamilton has is a bad thing?

• cur68 - Apr 13, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Craig; sarcasm fail, I do believe. mattintoledo’s comment is a countersnark to terryinsanantonio’s, not you IMO.

• mattintoledo - Apr 14, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Yes it was a sarcasm fail on my part. I agree you don’t have to get on a Pedastal to say a coach shouldn’t be called out for making a common judgment of being more aggressive with two outs. As I snarked above, it seems similar to me to a pitcher blaming his catcher for calling a bad pitch. I don’t remember that ever happening.

22. Senor Cardgage - Apr 13, 2011 at 10:35 PM

According to ESPN Dallas, Hamilton apologized to Anderson before the game (most likely four hours or more before this post went up). Are you planning to update the post at all?

As for Hamilton’s comments, while I do think he was out of line for speaking publicly, I understand that his frustration probably just boiled over and that he didn’t mean to handle it the way he did. After all the talk about his playing left field to keep him from being injured, he still breaks his arm eleven games into the season. I’d be frustrated too.

• jrd8523 - Apr 13, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Screw “updating” the post. I dont doubt that he apologized, but when you spend that long saying one thing and then all of a sudden apologize due to backlash… Gimme a break. If he wanted to get out some positive sentiment he has had plenty of chances.

Fair or not, when you’ve been letting people down since HS you should try being humble when it matters. Any apology at this point couldn’t be more phony, he has gone out of his way to express how he really feels.

• drmonkeyarmy - Apr 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Why do you assume he is apologizing because of a backlash? Why can he not realize he was wrong and set out to make an amends to the 3rd base coach? Taking responsibility and admitting wrongs is an act of humility.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 13, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Thank you, I hadn’t seen the article about the apology. I have updated it.

• Senor Cardgage - Apr 13, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Speak for yourself. I don’t doubt him. I think he’s still stinging—literally and figuratively—from the injury, and I think he’s still angry for getting getting hurt, but I think that anger is now directed more toward himself than at anybody else. Reading the rest of his quotes, I believe it was a genuine apology.

23. drmonkeyarmy - Apr 13, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Making amends and getting rid of anger whether justified or not is always a positive thing…particularly with for somebody with Hamilton’s past. I say, good for you Josh.

24. davisjosh20 - Apr 14, 2011 at 2:01 AM

he never said it was stupid to send him. I’ve heard the comments. he said it was a stupid thing to do. I work in sports radio, and no one I have talked to, and heard, thinks he blames his coach out right. the issue here, isn’t that he was sent. nor is it that he chose to go. the issue is that he got hurt doing it. no one would be talking about it, including him, if he only got tagged.

25. psousa1 - Apr 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Heat of the moment type of crap. But Bobby V. and Kruk are right – If you cannot make it don’t go. We have all seen (in wide angle shots) 3rd bases coaches waving in runners only to have the runner stop at 3rd.

But Hamilton is one player in the game you would pay to watch.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet