Apr 13, 2011, 10:35 PM EST
“I let my emotions get ahead of thinking things through,” Hamilton said. “The more I think about it, the more I understand that I take responsibility for what happened because I had the choice not to go or the choice to go. I just appreciate Dave having confidence in my ability to think I could make that play.”
Is the sentiment as true to Hamilton’s true feelings as his previous statements were? You kinda doubt it. But I think there’s also another truth here: that Hamilton doesn’t say what he said about Anderson if he wasn’t frustrated.
4:00 PM: Yesterday Josh Hamilton blamed his third base coach, Dave Anderson, for the play at the plate in which Hamilton broke his arm. He said it was “stupid” to send him and that he knew better, but followed orders anyway.
He’s back at the park today and he has downgraded his assessment from “stupid” to “dumb.” But he’s not contrite about throwing Anderson under the bus:
“I threw him under the bus by telling the truth about what happened,” Hamilton said. “What do you want me to do, lie about it? People are going to blame who they want to blame.”
I suppose there’s a fine line between a polite, politic answer and a lie. But there’s also a fine line between candor and rudeness. I think Hamilton needs to figure out how to walk that line a bit better.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)