Apr 13, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT
“I let my emotions get ahead of thinking things through,” Hamilton said. “The more I think about it, the more I understand that I take responsibility for what happened because I had the choice not to go or the choice to go. I just appreciate Dave having confidence in my ability to think I could make that play.”
Is the sentiment as true to Hamilton’s true feelings as his previous statements were? You kinda doubt it. But I think there’s also another truth here: that Hamilton doesn’t say what he said about Anderson if he wasn’t frustrated.
4:00 PM: Yesterday Josh Hamilton blamed his third base coach, Dave Anderson, for the play at the plate in which Hamilton broke his arm. He said it was “stupid” to send him and that he knew better, but followed orders anyway.
He’s back at the park today and he has downgraded his assessment from “stupid” to “dumb.” But he’s not contrite about throwing Anderson under the bus:
“I threw him under the bus by telling the truth about what happened,” Hamilton said. “What do you want me to do, lie about it? People are going to blame who they want to blame.”
I suppose there’s a fine line between a polite, politic answer and a lie. But there’s also a fine line between candor and rudeness. I think Hamilton needs to figure out how to walk that line a bit better.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)