Apr 13, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT
“I let my emotions get ahead of thinking things through,” Hamilton said. “The more I think about it, the more I understand that I take responsibility for what happened because I had the choice not to go or the choice to go. I just appreciate Dave having confidence in my ability to think I could make that play.”
Is the sentiment as true to Hamilton’s true feelings as his previous statements were? You kinda doubt it. But I think there’s also another truth here: that Hamilton doesn’t say what he said about Anderson if he wasn’t frustrated.
4:00 PM: Yesterday Josh Hamilton blamed his third base coach, Dave Anderson, for the play at the plate in which Hamilton broke his arm. He said it was “stupid” to send him and that he knew better, but followed orders anyway.
He’s back at the park today and he has downgraded his assessment from “stupid” to “dumb.” But he’s not contrite about throwing Anderson under the bus:
“I threw him under the bus by telling the truth about what happened,” Hamilton said. “What do you want me to do, lie about it? People are going to blame who they want to blame.”
I suppose there’s a fine line between a polite, politic answer and a lie. But there’s also a fine line between candor and rudeness. I think Hamilton needs to figure out how to walk that line a bit better.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 6
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a serious Achilles injury Saturday night 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 8
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 89
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)