Apr 13, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT
“I let my emotions get ahead of thinking things through,” Hamilton said. “The more I think about it, the more I understand that I take responsibility for what happened because I had the choice not to go or the choice to go. I just appreciate Dave having confidence in my ability to think I could make that play.”
Is the sentiment as true to Hamilton’s true feelings as his previous statements were? You kinda doubt it. But I think there’s also another truth here: that Hamilton doesn’t say what he said about Anderson if he wasn’t frustrated.
4:00 PM: Yesterday Josh Hamilton blamed his third base coach, Dave Anderson, for the play at the plate in which Hamilton broke his arm. He said it was “stupid” to send him and that he knew better, but followed orders anyway.
He’s back at the park today and he has downgraded his assessment from “stupid” to “dumb.” But he’s not contrite about throwing Anderson under the bus:
“I threw him under the bus by telling the truth about what happened,” Hamilton said. “What do you want me to do, lie about it? People are going to blame who they want to blame.”
I suppose there’s a fine line between a polite, politic answer and a lie. But there’s also a fine line between candor and rudeness. I think Hamilton needs to figure out how to walk that line a bit better.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (97)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (96)