Apr 13, 2011, 12:34 PM EDT
I think everyone who works in baseball is tired of talking about whether the Red Sox will turn it around. So it’s nice that some people from the larger world of entertainment are picking up the slack.
First comes a guy who I wouldn’t have guessed would have an ESPN column someday, former Guns ‘N Roses bassist Duff McKagan:
But before any of us gets a little too far ahead of ourselves, let’s just remember that we are only 10 games into the season. Before we state that the Cleveland Indians are going all of the way, or that the Red Sox are already out of it, let us remember how small of a fraction this first 10 games is to the rest of the season.
Actually, McKagan’s column is a lot better than what a lot of full-time sports columnists pass off. Which is the dirty little secret of sports writing, even if it shouldn’t be a secret: all you really need is to (a) know sports; and (b) be able to write. There aren’t some other magical requirements. And in no case do having other such magical requirements make up for not knowing sports and not knowing how to write. So if you want to be a sports writer, just get in the ring. It’s so easy!
More troubling are the comments of one Charlie Sheen. Who has a long and established track record of knowing baseball, but who has become something less than a reliable analyst on a host of matters in recent months. What say you about the Bosox, Charlie?
“I’d tell everybody to shut up, that they’ll bounce back. It’s a long season and there’s a ton of talent there and a really bitchin’ hitter’s park they play in. Relax.”
In other words, the Red Sox are totally screwed.
Now, I’m off to see what Kirk Cameron and Mr. T. have to say about John Lackey‘s velocity.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)