Apr 13, 2011, 11:27 PM EDT
The Mets’ abuse of left-handed reliever Pedro Feliciano goes on. Or something.
According to MLB.com beat writer Bryan Hoch, the veteran reliever underwent an MRI on his troublesome left shoulder Wednesday and it showed significant damage. So much so that he might require a major surgical procedure.
The Yankees aren’t commenting on the specifics of the damage yet for reasons that manager Joe Girardi laid out for reporters on Wednesday night:
“In fairness to the player, he needs to talk about it with our doctor and the agents and decide what the next course of action is,” said Girardi. “He was throwing the ball in Spring Training and didn’t have any problems. Then after the one day he had a problem. I can’t tell you exactly when it happened, in a sense. He’s had some shoulder problems in the past.”
The Yankees have already accused the Mets of overusing Feliciano during his eight-year tenure with the cross-town club. Now the Bombers are going to be without the man that they signed to a two-year, $8 million contract for quite a bit of time. Perhaps continuing to blame the Mets will bring them some kind of solace.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman clear revocable waivers; eligible to be traded to any team 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)