UPDATE: Carlos Delgado officially announces his retirement

Apr 13, 2011, 2:29 PM EST

Carlos Delgado comeback

Yesterday Noel Pineiro of Puerto Rico’s El Nuevo Dia reported that Carlos Delgado was going to retire.  It’s now official: Delgado announced his decision at a news conference in Puerto Rico a little while ago.

As we noted yesterday, this comes as something of a relief, as Delgado had been was trying to come back from multiple hip injuries.  At no point did he get anywhere particularly close, and it’s good to see that he seems at peace with the end of the playing portion of his career.

Delgado had a career line of .280/.383/.546 with 473 career home runs and 1512 RBI.  Later on today, Matthew Pouliot is going to take a more in-depth look at the career of Delgado. A career that I worry may fall into the historical cracks one day, much like that of Fred McGriff and some other excellent but not transcendent ballplayers.  Which is sad, because for my money, the Hall of Very Good has a lot more interesting players in it than people realize, and they should be remembered.

1. halladaysbicepts - Apr 12, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Agreed. Great hitter in his day. This guy was a Phillies killer. Every time he came up to bat, it seemed that he either hit a bomb or was on base.

As far as the Hall of Fame, he borderline at best. Probably will not get in first ballot. But, I would not be surprised if he gets in eventually after time. His stats are very good (especially RBI totals).

2. thefalcon123 - Apr 12, 2011 at 4:15 PM

I think he had a bit better case in 2000 (41 HR, 137 RBI .344/.470/.664). He was running up to Manny Ramirez in OBP and Slugging while healthy all season. Giambi did have the better year playing in the cavernous coliseum, but I don’t think anyone would have cried foul had Delgado won it. I think he will be one of those veterans committee guys 40 years down the road. A great career, but it happened to be in the middle of the steroid era/goldan era for great 1st basemen.

3. phukyouk - Apr 12, 2011 at 4:22 PM

its just Carlos being Manny…

4. BC - Apr 12, 2011 at 4:50 PM

This just in: Willie Mays is announcing his retirement tomorrow.

5. cur68 - Apr 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM

To Carlos Delgado;
    So long Carlos; you were a great Blue Jay. Too bad my wife always thought you were ‘cute’ because I’d have been less openly scornful of you when you were with the Jays. I take back all that stuff I told her about you and farm animals. Have a great retirement and I hope you make it the Hall.
    cur
    ps. My dogs, Oilcan & Carter, liked you too. I’ve corrected all the stuff I told them about you, too.

6. Jeremiah Graves - Apr 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM

There is a very tough group of guys who fall into that borderline category who put up some pretty f’n amazing numbers:

Delgado: (17 Seasons) .280/.383/.546, 473 HR, 1512 RBI, 483 2B, 1241 R, 2038 H

McGriff: (19 Seasons) .284/.377/.509, 493 HR, 1550 RBI, 441 2B, 1349 R, 2490 H

Sheffield: (22 Seasons) .292/.393/.514, 509 HR, 1676 RBI, 467 2B, 1636 R, 2689 H, 253 SB

Heck, there’s still the Larry Walkers and Jeff Bagwells of the world who should be in the discussion. Not to mention Lew Ford.

It’s crazy. I want to visit the Hall of Very F’n Good, it’d be pretty danged impressive. Hopefully it’ll involve less of the PED BS and we can just let in the Bonds, Manny, Clemens types and keep things lively.

• cur68 - Apr 12, 2011 at 5:19 PM

re “Hall of Very F’n Good”: I like it.

• rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 12, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I didn’t expect anything better from a motor mouth like you, your wife should have slapped
        you, believe me I want to, so I bet she would love to smack you and fatten your lip.

• cur68 - Apr 12, 2011 at 6:51 PM

rap, rap, rap; stay away from your mom’s panties. ‘Taint good for you to keep on with that, dude. It’s sick and making making you ‘do’ stuff. C’mon man, this is an intervention.
        buh bye

7. rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 12, 2011 at 6:57 PM

cur68, you need to move out ya mom’s basement, and take off her underwear, that is more sick.

toodles

8. Old Gator - Apr 12, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Delgado should, at least, be inducted into the Hall of the Screwed Over by Scrooge McLoria, along with everyone on the 2003 and 2004 Feesh and the entire population of Montreal.

9. acuraf12 - Apr 13, 2011 at 2:54 PM

I remember when he came up in ’94 and hit 7 or 8 home runs in the first two weeks of the season for the Jays and we all thought he was the second coming. Good times. (Of course, he was sent down a month or two later).

10. sdelmonte - Apr 13, 2011 at 3:03 PM

A good player, whose time in MetsLand was not perfect but included some utterly amazing moments, such as the day he took over Yankee Stadium in 2008 and then did everything he could to get the Mets back in the race. He was also a man of conviction at a time when his beliefs weren’t likely to earn him many friends.

11. roycethebaseballhack - Apr 13, 2011 at 3:45 PM

The hardest hit ball I ever saw hit in The Rangers Ballpark came off of Carlos’s bat. I was in the lower deck of The Home Run Porch, and it went about twenty feet over my head, and hit the staircase that goes to the upper deck of the bleachers, which is behind the seats. He hit another one that day that looked like it was going further, but trailed foul.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5815)
  2. M. Kemp (3252)
  3. J. Kang (3215)
  4. C. McGehee (3087)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3056)
  1. J. Upton (2995)