Apr 13, 2011, 3:08 PM EDT
One thing the Yankee Universe is great at is coveting those who did something great yesterday. And on cue, Joel Sherman writes a column today talking about how great it would have been if the Yankees could have traded for Dan Haren last year. The Dan Haren who three a one-hitter last night.
But the stuff about landing Haren isn’t as interesting as this bit at the end:
In fact, friends of Andy Pettitte had said that the lefty would have come back this year if the Yankees had been able to sign Lee. So maybe he would have felt the same way if the Yankees had Haren and, especially, Oswalt, who is a pal of Pettitte’s from their time together with the Astros.
So this “friend” of Pettitte is suggesting that all of that stuff Pettitte said at his press conference about “not having the hunger” was baloney? That when he said that that Cliff Lee signing with the Phillies didn’t ultimately impact his decision, he was lying? That, even more so, his comments about how it was the Yankees losing Lee that actually had him closest to coming back because he “felt an obligation” to the Yankees now that they were down a pitcher was just Pettitte blowing smoke?
So I guess what I’m saying is, who ya gonna believe: Pettitte or an anonymous friend of his who contradicts him to a Post columnist?
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 32
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)