Apr 13, 2011, 3:08 PM EST
One thing the Yankee Universe is great at is coveting those who did something great yesterday. And on cue, Joel Sherman writes a column today talking about how great it would have been if the Yankees could have traded for Dan Haren last year. The Dan Haren who three a one-hitter last night.
But the stuff about landing Haren isn’t as interesting as this bit at the end:
In fact, friends of Andy Pettitte had said that the lefty would have come back this year if the Yankees had been able to sign Lee. So maybe he would have felt the same way if the Yankees had Haren and, especially, Oswalt, who is a pal of Pettitte’s from their time together with the Astros.
So this “friend” of Pettitte is suggesting that all of that stuff Pettitte said at his press conference about “not having the hunger” was baloney? That when he said that that Cliff Lee signing with the Phillies didn’t ultimately impact his decision, he was lying? That, even more so, his comments about how it was the Yankees losing Lee that actually had him closest to coming back because he “felt an obligation” to the Yankees now that they were down a pitcher was just Pettitte blowing smoke?
So I guess what I’m saying is, who ya gonna believe: Pettitte or an anonymous friend of his who contradicts him to a Post columnist?
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)