Apr 13, 2011, 3:08 PM EST
One thing the Yankee Universe is great at is coveting those who did something great yesterday. And on cue, Joel Sherman writes a column today talking about how great it would have been if the Yankees could have traded for Dan Haren last year. The Dan Haren who three a one-hitter last night.
But the stuff about landing Haren isn’t as interesting as this bit at the end:
In fact, friends of Andy Pettitte had said that the lefty would have come back this year if the Yankees had been able to sign Lee. So maybe he would have felt the same way if the Yankees had Haren and, especially, Oswalt, who is a pal of Pettitte’s from their time together with the Astros.
So this “friend” of Pettitte is suggesting that all of that stuff Pettitte said at his press conference about “not having the hunger” was baloney? That when he said that that Cliff Lee signing with the Phillies didn’t ultimately impact his decision, he was lying? That, even more so, his comments about how it was the Yankees losing Lee that actually had him closest to coming back because he “felt an obligation” to the Yankees now that they were down a pitcher was just Pettitte blowing smoke?
So I guess what I’m saying is, who ya gonna believe: Pettitte or an anonymous friend of his who contradicts him to a Post columnist?
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 146
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 67
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (148)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)