Apr 13, 2011, 8:24 AM EST
The Barry Bonds jury has now deliberated for two whole days and part of a third with no verdict and they’ll be back at it today for day 4.
I’ve been asked by a lot of people if the jury taking this long is a good omen for Bonds or a bad one. Frankly, your guess is as good as mine. I’ve heard some people say that the longer the jury is out the more likely it is that there will be an acquittal, but that doesn’t square with my experience. In a really complicated case it may just take that long to get through it all and if a jury is doing its job properly, it can certainly take that kind of time and come back with a conviction.
It’s also the case — and my hunch, based on nothin’ but a gut feeling, is that it’s the case here — is that you see long deliberations like this when there’s a holdout or two on the jury who are for acquittal but most of the panel is for conviction. But really, it’s anyone’s guess. Much longer and we may hear word from the jury that they’re deadlocked, at which point the judge will send them back in and tell them to keep trying for another day or so.
Of course, we’ll have some sort of reaction no matter the case.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)