Apr 13, 2011, 8:24 AM EDT
The Barry Bonds jury has now deliberated for two whole days and part of a third with no verdict and they’ll be back at it today for day 4.
I’ve been asked by a lot of people if the jury taking this long is a good omen for Bonds or a bad one. Frankly, your guess is as good as mine. I’ve heard some people say that the longer the jury is out the more likely it is that there will be an acquittal, but that doesn’t square with my experience. In a really complicated case it may just take that long to get through it all and if a jury is doing its job properly, it can certainly take that kind of time and come back with a conviction.
It’s also the case — and my hunch, based on nothin’ but a gut feeling, is that it’s the case here — is that you see long deliberations like this when there’s a holdout or two on the jury who are for acquittal but most of the panel is for conviction. But really, it’s anyone’s guess. Much longer and we may hear word from the jury that they’re deadlocked, at which point the judge will send them back in and tell them to keep trying for another day or so.
Of course, we’ll have some sort of reaction no matter the case.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 13
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 41
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)