Apr 13, 2011, 8:24 AM EST
The Barry Bonds jury has now deliberated for two whole days and part of a third with no verdict and they’ll be back at it today for day 4.
I’ve been asked by a lot of people if the jury taking this long is a good omen for Bonds or a bad one. Frankly, your guess is as good as mine. I’ve heard some people say that the longer the jury is out the more likely it is that there will be an acquittal, but that doesn’t square with my experience. In a really complicated case it may just take that long to get through it all and if a jury is doing its job properly, it can certainly take that kind of time and come back with a conviction.
It’s also the case — and my hunch, based on nothin’ but a gut feeling, is that it’s the case here — is that you see long deliberations like this when there’s a holdout or two on the jury who are for acquittal but most of the panel is for conviction. But really, it’s anyone’s guess. Much longer and we may hear word from the jury that they’re deadlocked, at which point the judge will send them back in and tell them to keep trying for another day or so.
Of course, we’ll have some sort of reaction no matter the case.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)