Apr 13, 2011, 8:24 AM EDT
The Barry Bonds jury has now deliberated for two whole days and part of a third with no verdict and they’ll be back at it today for day 4.
I’ve been asked by a lot of people if the jury taking this long is a good omen for Bonds or a bad one. Frankly, your guess is as good as mine. I’ve heard some people say that the longer the jury is out the more likely it is that there will be an acquittal, but that doesn’t square with my experience. In a really complicated case it may just take that long to get through it all and if a jury is doing its job properly, it can certainly take that kind of time and come back with a conviction.
It’s also the case — and my hunch, based on nothin’ but a gut feeling, is that it’s the case here — is that you see long deliberations like this when there’s a holdout or two on the jury who are for acquittal but most of the panel is for conviction. But really, it’s anyone’s guess. Much longer and we may hear word from the jury that they’re deadlocked, at which point the judge will send them back in and tell them to keep trying for another day or so.
Of course, we’ll have some sort of reaction no matter the case.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 21
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 36
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 51
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)