Apr 13, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
If you think the Barry Bonds trial is weird and salacious, get a load of the Brian Giles trial. He and his former girlfriend have a nasty civil suit going on in which their messy love life and dueling claims of domestic violence are front and center. And it involves Chuck Knoblauch of all people:
[Giles’] attorneys also have portrayed Olvera as a money-hungry seeker of rich men, including four-time baseball All-Star Chuck Knoblauch, her current fiancé.
They showed Knoblauch in video testimony talking about all the jewelry he’s given Olvera. But then during a break in the trial Tuesday, one of Giles’ attorneys, Dan Gilleon, pulled out a baseball and asked Knoblauch to autograph it for him. Knoblauch, who attended Tuesday’s closing arguments, said he found it strange.
“Obviously, we’re fans,” Scott said.
Glad to see that kind of professionalism in action.
At any rate, this is ugly business, involving prenuptial agreements, fraudulent checks and that famous video in which Giles appeared to strike Olvera (Giles says she fell).
But hey, we need something to read while waiting for the Bonds verdict.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 0
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a serious Achilles injury Saturday night 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 89
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)