Apr 13, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
If you think the Barry Bonds trial is weird and salacious, get a load of the Brian Giles trial. He and his former girlfriend have a nasty civil suit going on in which their messy love life and dueling claims of domestic violence are front and center. And it involves Chuck Knoblauch of all people:
[Giles’] attorneys also have portrayed Olvera as a money-hungry seeker of rich men, including four-time baseball All-Star Chuck Knoblauch, her current fiancé.
They showed Knoblauch in video testimony talking about all the jewelry he’s given Olvera. But then during a break in the trial Tuesday, one of Giles’ attorneys, Dan Gilleon, pulled out a baseball and asked Knoblauch to autograph it for him. Knoblauch, who attended Tuesday’s closing arguments, said he found it strange.
“Obviously, we’re fans,” Scott said.
Glad to see that kind of professionalism in action.
At any rate, this is ugly business, involving prenuptial agreements, fraudulent checks and that famous video in which Giles appeared to strike Olvera (Giles says she fell).
But hey, we need something to read while waiting for the Bonds verdict.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)