Apr 13, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
If you think the Barry Bonds trial is weird and salacious, get a load of the Brian Giles trial. He and his former girlfriend have a nasty civil suit going on in which their messy love life and dueling claims of domestic violence are front and center. And it involves Chuck Knoblauch of all people:
[Giles'] attorneys also have portrayed Olvera as a money-hungry seeker of rich men, including four-time baseball All-Star Chuck Knoblauch, her current fiancé.
They showed Knoblauch in video testimony talking about all the jewelry he’s given Olvera. But then during a break in the trial Tuesday, one of Giles’ attorneys, Dan Gilleon, pulled out a baseball and asked Knoblauch to autograph it for him. Knoblauch, who attended Tuesday’s closing arguments, said he found it strange.
“Obviously, we’re fans,” Scott said.
Glad to see that kind of professionalism in action.
At any rate, this is ugly business, involving prenuptial agreements, fraudulent checks and that famous video in which Giles appeared to strike Olvera (Giles says she fell).
But hey, we need something to read while waiting for the Bonds verdict.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)