Apr 13, 2011, 4:44 PM EDT
For the second straight day the Tigers have beat the Rangers in walkoff fashion. For the second straight day they did so while the Rangers’ relief ace — Neftali Feliz — watched from the comfort of his bench in the bullpen.
Today the heroics came via a Brandon Inge home run with one out in the ninth off Darren Oliver, who was into his second inning of work in a tie game. Yesterday it was Miguel Cabrera doing the honors off Darren O’Day on a bases loaded single.
Ron Washington recently said that he would not limit Neftali Feliz to save situations and that, instead, he’d deploy him more often, Except, as Aaron pointed out, Washington meant that he’d actually use him in lower-leverage situations, such as in games with four-run leads, which isn’t all that useful. Well, today and yesterday were both high-leverage situations: tie games, in the ninth, one of which was a bases-loaded situation. Why Ron Washington doesn’t want his most dominant pitcher on the mound in those situations is between him and his god.
But hey, at least Feliz is well-rested to pick up that save tomorrow! Oh, wait. It’s an offday. Never mind.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 8
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 37
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 63
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)