Apr 13, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
The Rockies are about to get their ace back.
According to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez threw a successful simulated game Wednesday at extended spring training and has been cleared to return to the Colorado rotation Monday against the Giants.
Jimenez threw 81 pitches in the simulated game, allowing seven hits and two earned runs over five innings while striking out three. The velocity on his fastball ranged from 94-97 MPH and he induced a total of nine groundball outs.
Jimenez has been out for the past week because of a cut on his right thumb cuticle. Now healthy, he will try to bounce back from a rough Opening Day start against the Diamondbacks that saw him surrender seven earned runs over six treacherous innings.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 26
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)