Apr 14, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Weird story involving former Royals pitcher Brian Bannister. Banny left the majors after last season and signed a contract with the Yomiuri Giants of the NPB. When the earthquake hit he, like a lot of gaijin left Japan to be with their families and get the hell out of the way of rescue and recovery efforts. Most who did so asked permission first. Most who did so have since come back, seeing as the season has gotten underway. Not Bannister. He just up and left and hasn’t come back.
As a result, the Giants have put him on the restricted list and his future in baseball is in doubt. He wasn’t reached for comment in the article. And though it is reported in the article that Bannister told the Giants he’d rather retire than return to Japan, the team denies that such discussions took place.
This could be a rather ignominious end to what has been a fairly interesting baseball career.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)