Evan Longoria says injured oblique already feels “really good”

Apr 14, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT

longo rays Getty Images

Rays third baseman Evan Longoria went down with a left oblique strain in the second game of the regular season. With the exception of this week’s rain-shortened series at Boston’s Fenway Park, the Tampa Bay lineup has struggled mightily to score runs consistently in his absence.

Good news.

Longoria is on schedule — and maybe even ahead of schedule — in his recovery from the strain.

According to Tony Fabrizio of the Tampa Tribune, Longo began running arcs in the outfield earlier this week and did rotational exercises with a medicine ball Thursday in a training pool.

“I feel really good,” Longoria told reporters Thursday evening. “This is the point in time where the trainers kind of have to do their job in forcing me to back off of it, but I feel like there is an opportunity to push a little more.

Like I said from the beginning, I didn’t feel like it was as bad as it showed (on an MRI). So we’re kind of treating it that way, just doing what I can and trying to keep the progression as slow as they can make me go. But the last couple of days have been real promising.”

Longoria, 25, is on track to return the Rays by the end of April, but a minor league rehab assignment will come first and that has not yet been scheduled. He was 0-for-5 with a walk before the injury.

1. purdueman - Apr 14, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Only Rays fans and rotogeeks care about Evan’s oblique muscles, what the rest of us want to really know is that while Evan has been on his paid vacation to the DL, he surely must have received his insurance settlement for his stolen assault rifle by now and we all are anxious to know how his shopping spree has been going since.

In addition to buying himself another AK-47 assault rifle, any one know if he scored some cool hand grenades, rocket propelled grenade launchers, a bazooka or two and how many thousands of rounds of ammo by now he may have packed in??? After all, never can tell when those pesky Commies are going to invade Florida from North Korea; could be any day now you know!

• kcroyal - Apr 15, 2011 at 4:05 AM

I used to wonder why absurd comments had a thumbs up. Like who is crazy enough to agree with this nonsense. Glen Beck? Maybe…even that’s a reach.

Then I made an absurd comment of my own and thumbs uped myself….now I know.

2. cavredleg15 - Apr 15, 2011 at 3:46 AM

purdueman, Are you trying to be a ‘news journalist’, cultural pundit, or a general jackass?
    What does anything you said have to do with the game?

• purdueman - Apr 15, 2011 at 9:30 AM

cavre… I see that your post was at 3:46 AM; cheer up; that day will get better once your meds kick in!

3. kcroyal - Apr 15, 2011 at 3:59 AM

That’s great and all but…. did he ever get his hat back?

Orioles turn AL East on its head