Apr 14, 2011, 4:44 PM EDT
Kelsie Smith of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Gardenhire “was very adamant about not telling us more about Mauer’s status’ and “said the Twins will ‘re-evaluate’ the catcher tomorrow.”
Mauer got a late start in spring training following offseason knee surgery and has hit just .235 with a .554 OPS in nine games, although that’s still better than Butera’s career .518 OPS.
If the former MVP needs an extended stint on the disabled list, the Twins are in serious trouble because of their utter lack of catching depth behind him. And given the criticism he already receives (wrongly, mostly) from Twins fans for not being durable, Gardenhire keeping the details a secret isn’t doing Mauer any favors.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 76
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 23
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 93
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)