Apr 14, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Yesterday the White Sox’s bullpen imploded again, allowing three runs in the ninth inning and three more in the 10th frame to turn a 4-1 lead into a 7-4 loss against the A’s.
Afterward manager Ozzie Guillen was understandably upset, telling reporters “I don’t have any closer” and jokingly suggesting he “might call” 47-year-old Bobby Thigpen, who saved a then-record 57 games for the White Sox in 1990.
I see the same [expletive] you guys see. Exactly same [expletive]. When we play good, they send those guys to this damn [interview] table and talk to them like heroes. When we [expletive] it up, I’m the one who has to … sit here and talk to you guys.
In other words, he’s fed up with making excuses for relievers and taking blame for the struggles of a bullpen that has a collective 6.14 ERA. Anointed closer Matt Thornton lost his grip on the job within days, Chris Sale was terrible yesterday when asked to close out a three-run lead, and free agent pickup Jesse Crain couldn’t get the job done either.
UPDATE: CSN Chicago has video of Guillen’s rant/press conference.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)