Apr 14, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Yesterday the White Sox’s bullpen imploded again, allowing three runs in the ninth inning and three more in the 10th frame to turn a 4-1 lead into a 7-4 loss against the A’s.
Afterward manager Ozzie Guillen was understandably upset, telling reporters “I don’t have any closer” and jokingly suggesting he “might call” 47-year-old Bobby Thigpen, who saved a then-record 57 games for the White Sox in 1990.
I see the same [expletive] you guys see. Exactly same [expletive]. When we play good, they send those guys to this damn [interview] table and talk to them like heroes. When we [expletive] it up, I’m the one who has to … sit here and talk to you guys.
In other words, he’s fed up with making excuses for relievers and taking blame for the struggles of a bullpen that has a collective 6.14 ERA. Anointed closer Matt Thornton lost his grip on the job within days, Chris Sale was terrible yesterday when asked to close out a three-run lead, and free agent pickup Jesse Crain couldn’t get the job done either.
UPDATE: CSN Chicago has video of Guillen’s rant/press conference.
- The Dodgers and Braves are deep into trade talks involving Juan Uribe and Alberto Callaspo 15
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 19
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)