Apr 14, 2011, 4:13 PM EDT
Today the Yankees announced that Pedro Feliciano has a “torn shoulder capsule” and the left-hander told Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger that he’s “leaning toward” undergoing season-ending surgery.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman criticized the Mets for “abusing” Feliciano by using him 408 times in the past five seasons, including league-leading appearance totals in each of the past three years.
However, while that certainly may have led to his breaking down physically Feliciano apparently didn’t join the Yankees as completely damaged goods, as he told Carig that the shoulder injury was suffered during spring training. That won’t make the Yankees feel any better about handing him a two-year, $8 million deal this offseason, but then again if they legitimately felt that Feliciano had been abused by the Mets perhaps signing him to a multi-year contract wasn’t such a sound decision in the first place.
Boone Logan is currently the lone left-hander in the Yankees’ bullpen, but now that Feliciano isn’t coming back any time soon the Yankees will presumably begin shopping around for another southpaw reliever.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 340
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (341)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)