Apr 14, 2011, 4:13 PM EST
Today the Yankees announced that Pedro Feliciano has a “torn shoulder capsule” and the left-hander told Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger that he’s “leaning toward” undergoing season-ending surgery.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman criticized the Mets for “abusing” Feliciano by using him 408 times in the past five seasons, including league-leading appearance totals in each of the past three years.
However, while that certainly may have led to his breaking down physically Feliciano apparently didn’t join the Yankees as completely damaged goods, as he told Carig that the shoulder injury was suffered during spring training. That won’t make the Yankees feel any better about handing him a two-year, $8 million deal this offseason, but then again if they legitimately felt that Feliciano had been abused by the Mets perhaps signing him to a multi-year contract wasn’t such a sound decision in the first place.
Boone Logan is currently the lone left-hander in the Yankees’ bullpen, but now that Feliciano isn’t coming back any time soon the Yankees will presumably begin shopping around for another southpaw reliever.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 0
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 22
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 85
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (85)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)