Apr 14, 2011, 4:13 PM EDT
Today the Yankees announced that Pedro Feliciano has a “torn shoulder capsule” and the left-hander told Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger that he’s “leaning toward” undergoing season-ending surgery.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman criticized the Mets for “abusing” Feliciano by using him 408 times in the past five seasons, including league-leading appearance totals in each of the past three years.
However, while that certainly may have led to his breaking down physically Feliciano apparently didn’t join the Yankees as completely damaged goods, as he told Carig that the shoulder injury was suffered during spring training. That won’t make the Yankees feel any better about handing him a two-year, $8 million deal this offseason, but then again if they legitimately felt that Feliciano had been abused by the Mets perhaps signing him to a multi-year contract wasn’t such a sound decision in the first place.
Boone Logan is currently the lone left-hander in the Yankees’ bullpen, but now that Feliciano isn’t coming back any time soon the Yankees will presumably begin shopping around for another southpaw reliever.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 10
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 115
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)