Apr 14, 2011, 4:13 PM EDT
Today the Yankees announced that Pedro Feliciano has a “torn shoulder capsule” and the left-hander told Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger that he’s “leaning toward” undergoing season-ending surgery.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman criticized the Mets for “abusing” Feliciano by using him 408 times in the past five seasons, including league-leading appearance totals in each of the past three years.
However, while that certainly may have led to his breaking down physically Feliciano apparently didn’t join the Yankees as completely damaged goods, as he told Carig that the shoulder injury was suffered during spring training. That won’t make the Yankees feel any better about handing him a two-year, $8 million deal this offseason, but then again if they legitimately felt that Feliciano had been abused by the Mets perhaps signing him to a multi-year contract wasn’t such a sound decision in the first place.
Boone Logan is currently the lone left-hander in the Yankees’ bullpen, but now that Feliciano isn’t coming back any time soon the Yankees will presumably begin shopping around for another southpaw reliever.
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman clear revocable waivers; eligible to be traded to any team 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)