Apr 14, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
So now Lackey, who was the scheduled starter for the rained out game, will make his next start Tuesday against the A’s in Oakland.
Lackey has a 15.58 ERA through two starts, allowing 15 runs on 17 hits in 8.2 innings, and the Red Sox opted to skip him rather than the similarly struggling Daisuke Matsuzaka.
Lackey is making $15.25 million this season and is owed another $15.25 million in 2012, 2013, and 2014, so the Red Sox have little choice but to be patient with the 31-year-old right-hander. He has a 4.83 ERA through 35 starts with the Red Sox, allowing opponents to bat .283 with a .795 OPS after limiting opponents to a .263 batting average and .720 OPS in eight years with the Angels.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 0
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)