UPDATE: Ryan Madson and his wife clarify the “I hate the fans” thing

Apr 14, 2011, 4:57 PM EDT

Wonder woman

UPDATE:  The Phillies have issued a statement on behalf of Ryan Madson and his wife, arising out of that business in which the Naked Philadelphian blog reported Sarah Madson to have said “I hate fans” and complain about women coming up to Ryan Madson in public:

Sarah did not consent to an interview, but rather was approached by Ms. Goldman who did not identify herself as a reporter.  She began to ask many personal questions about the life of a wife of a professional baseball player.  The comments reported by Ms. Goldman were taken completely out of context, and as a result, Sarah is extremely upset and feels violated by the situation.

Sarah says, “For every one fan that may upset us, there are 99 Phillies fans that we love. We have lived here for years, have many friends, neighbors and acquaintances — who also happen to be Phillies fans — for whom we have the utmost respect.”

The Madsons would like to dispel this misleading information which indicates that they have anything but admiration for the fans in Philadelphia.

Quotes being “taken out of context” is a difficult topic. Most of the time when it’s deployed in a public statement like this, it means “I said it, but I had no idea it would create such a stir.”  At the same time, if the blogger did just sidle up to Ms. Madson and start talking without identifying herself as a reporter of any kind, there is a contextual issue in terms of “I never would have said this to you if I knew it would get around.”

And that’s an interesting ethical matter that has never been made 100% clear. If you’re working in the media — whether it be paid or whether you simply style yourself as a reporter of things on your own — there is a sense that, yeah, you should identify yourself if you’re going to use what you hear. I think this Laura Goldman person fits that description, as she is a reporter of some kind or at least has been in the past.

If it’s just a person who happens to have a personal blog and isn’t on the make, but gets into an interesting conversation in a bar? Eh, maybe a different matter.  But that doesn’t seem to be the matter here.

10:00 AM: At least that’s what a Philly blogger is saying.  Laura Goldman of the Naked Philadelphian blog claims that Sarah Madson, wife of the Phillies’ reliever Ryan Madson, said the following:

Sarah Madson declared, “I hate the fans. It is bad enough that they bother us during the season, but they will not leave us alone in December when we go out to eat. We stayed here during the off season last year, but we will be going to California this year. There must be something particularly bad about Phillies fans because all the players leave in the off season.”

She had particular snappish words for the female fans of her husband. “Can you believe that they have the gall to give my husband their number in front of me?”

Some are questioning the overall integrity of the blogger here, but I have yet to see anyone deny that Ms. Madson made the statement.

I take a lot of crap from Philly fans, but that’s OK because I think it’s kind of fun.  I’m guessing, however, that unless someone clearly and loudly establishes that these quotes were fabricated, Ms. Madson is going to think the experience is way less fun.

1. Utley's Hair - Apr 14, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Well that is that. Sarah Madson is back in my good graces anyway. And I’ll bet there is a picture of that Goldman-Hacks wench floating around the Phightins phamily so that people don’t just start spouting off at the sight of her. My guess is that the Eagles, Flyers, Sixers, Union, etc., will be circulating it, too. So, happy retirement, Laura Goldman. I wish you nothing but hackiness.

• cur68 - Apr 14, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Can we add a “no talent ass-clown” to that “hacks” again? Never waste a good spot for an Office Space quote, that’s what I say.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 14, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Absolutely—as long as I can get a piece of cake.

• cur68 - Apr 14, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Chocky cheesecake for you, sir. A la mode. Which is the only way to have it…

• Utley's Hair - Apr 14, 2011 at 6:21 PM

The ratio of people to cake is too big.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 15, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Pie rocks, it just, DOES.

2. cliffleesbeard - Apr 14, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Life styles of the rich and the famous……

3. macjacmccoy - Apr 14, 2011 at 5:53 PM

who cares if she didnt know she was being qouted she said “There must be something particularly bad about Phillies fans because all the players leave in the off season.”

How can that be taken out of context?

• Old Phaithful - Apr 14, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Easily. You’re at a cocktail party, fundraiser in this case, and someone is saying how great it must be to have married such a fantastic athlete, and she’s thinking, with preganacy hormones raging, “Hey, it’s no bed of roses…you can’t go out to dinner without people coming up to you, and can you imagine how it feels to have young things throwing themselves at your husband while you’re standing right there…” and so on. It’s taken out of context in that she didn’t know she was speaking to a reporter, which she wasn’t. Not a legitimate one. The context is between a private conversation and a public one. It was poor judgement, but I feel bad for Sarah. It sounds like she got blind-sided. I will say that she needs to go to better restaurants though. Philly has a ton of great ones that would afford her better privacy, and, she’s wrong about all the players leaving in the off season. Cole makes his home in Philly year-round. So does Jimmy. And, Raul worked out here all last winter. Bless his heart. If I were them, I’d be somewhere warm.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 15, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Actually Jimmy lives in South Jersey around the corner from my buddy. It’s cool to see him at the dry cleaners in his badass black Bently picking up his laundry. We were picking up pizza one day and saw him there, we didn’t bug him though. People need their space. I love you Jimmy, and while you have great taste in cars, Your interior decorating skills are TACKY as all get out.

4. dasher521 - Apr 15, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I just love it! A Giants fan who went to a game in LA, is beaten and in a coma. And what are we talking about? What a player’s wife may or may not have said to a “reporter” of questionable background who may or may not have asked leading questions. If this happened in LA and the LA incident happened in Philadelphia . . .

Where is the column about all the Phillies fans traveling to DC and booing Jason Werth? Might as well get that one out there.

Come to Citizens Bank Park some night and get a first hand experience of a baseball game in Philadelphia.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act