UPDATE: Ryan Madson and his wife clarify the “I hate the fans” thing

Apr 14, 2011, 4:57 PM EDT

Wonder woman

UPDATE:  The Phillies have issued a statement on behalf of Ryan Madson and his wife, arising out of that business in which the Naked Philadelphian blog reported Sarah Madson to have said “I hate fans” and complain about women coming up to Ryan Madson in public:

Sarah did not consent to an interview, but rather was approached by Ms. Goldman who did not identify herself as a reporter.  She began to ask many personal questions about the life of a wife of a professional baseball player.  The comments reported by Ms. Goldman were taken completely out of context, and as a result, Sarah is extremely upset and feels violated by the situation.

Sarah says, “For every one fan that may upset us, there are 99 Phillies fans that we love. We have lived here for years, have many friends, neighbors and acquaintances — who also happen to be Phillies fans — for whom we have the utmost respect.”

The Madsons would like to dispel this misleading information which indicates that they have anything but admiration for the fans in Philadelphia.

Quotes being “taken out of context” is a difficult topic. Most of the time when it’s deployed in a public statement like this, it means “I said it, but I had no idea it would create such a stir.”  At the same time, if the blogger did just sidle up to Ms. Madson and start talking without identifying herself as a reporter of any kind, there is a contextual issue in terms of “I never would have said this to you if I knew it would get around.”

And that’s an interesting ethical matter that has never been made 100% clear. If you’re working in the media — whether it be paid or whether you simply style yourself as a reporter of things on your own — there is a sense that, yeah, you should identify yourself if you’re going to use what you hear. I think this Laura Goldman person fits that description, as she is a reporter of some kind or at least has been in the past.

If it’s just a person who happens to have a personal blog and isn’t on the make, but gets into an interesting conversation in a bar? Eh, maybe a different matter.  But that doesn’t seem to be the matter here.

10:00 AM: At least that’s what a Philly blogger is saying.  Laura Goldman of the Naked Philadelphian blog claims that Sarah Madson, wife of the Phillies’ reliever Ryan Madson, said the following:

Sarah Madson declared, “I hate the fans. It is bad enough that they bother us during the season, but they will not leave us alone in December when we go out to eat. We stayed here during the off season last year, but we will be going to California this year. There must be something particularly bad about Phillies fans because all the players leave in the off season.”

She had particular snappish words for the female fans of her husband. “Can you believe that they have the gall to give my husband their number in front of me?”

Some are questioning the overall integrity of the blogger here, but I have yet to see anyone deny that Ms. Madson made the statement.

I take a lot of crap from Philly fans, but that’s OK because I think it’s kind of fun.  I’m guessing, however, that unless someone clearly and loudly establishes that these quotes were fabricated, Ms. Madson is going to think the experience is way less fun.

1. Phillies Homer - Apr 14, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Ha… yea… fans that treat their players like celebrities are bad fans!

Also, Ryan Madson is probably in a lot of girls’ “five” i.e. 5 people that given the chance their significant other would allow them to sleep with. Hell, I’d give it to him given the chance!

Gotta expect it being married to a Phillies fan! Also, complaining about it is going to make it much more worse!!

• Phillies Homer - Apr 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Ooops I meant being married to a Phillies “player”

• sportsdrenched - Apr 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM

“5 people that given the chance their significant other would allow them to sleep with”

That’s kind of disturbing.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM

“Hell, I’d give it to him given the chance!”

Um…well, the obvious question goes unasked here…

2. Brian - Apr 14, 2011 at 10:12 AM

who wants to bet madson gets booed next time he’s out on the CBP mound?

3. drunkenhooliganism - Apr 14, 2011 at 10:12 AM

If I could afford to not live here from November to February, I’d leave too. but the rest of the year make it worth it.

4. thevandalen - Apr 14, 2011 at 10:13 AM

She should have Ryan request a trade to Pittsburgh. No one will bother them there.

5. Jonny 5 - Apr 14, 2011 at 10:13 AM

5 months pregnant and other women are handing the guy their #’s in front of her. If I remember correctly (oh my GOD, how could I not) My wife was pretty nutty when she was preggers with my son. And very self conscience to say the least. I wouldn’t doubt she did say it. And if Ryan thinks that it’ll be better after she pops the kid out, it will only get worse, when her man is in a strange city surrounded by strange women, while she’s home taking care of his kid…

• Utley's Hair - Apr 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM

How DARE you speak ill of your wife’s tribulations during her pregnancy, and she didn’t get any better after popping that massive boulder out of there!!!!!!! You must be a woman hater, you, you, you WOMAN HATER!!!!!!!

(There…that should get me out of the doghouse after that way louder than I expected “hell yeah!!” that emanated from my mouth when I read your post. Oh, and 300 thumbs up.)

DAMN YOU!!!!!

• drunkenhooliganism - Apr 14, 2011 at 12:10 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

• Jonny 5 - Apr 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM

My wife scared me so bad I got the plumbing rearranged so it didn’t happen again. Yeah, it WAS like that.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 14, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I hear ya. Been there.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM

(Though not EXACTLY there.)

• cur68 - Apr 14, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Pregnant eh? That explains soooo much, ayup. And you are correct, Sir 5, they go even nuttier after they pop the sprog. Its an endearing and often touching nutty but with over tones of psycho eidetic memory nutty as well. Since this lady is technically a Philly Phan I deem her deep a fried pili nut nutty (the nut with layers of nutty) with a wee baby nut to go with. Fits right in don’t she?

6. cktai - Apr 14, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I don’t blame her for not liking fans, but I doubt this is specific for Phillies phans.

7. 12strikes - Apr 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Well…. If she is unhappy with being recognized, them maybe there is a nice construction company that Ryan could lug bricks for… that would make them obscure.

Take the Good with the bad Baby Doll…… If you want to marry a man with a multi-million dollar contract then you have deal with the people… that, you know…. PAY THE FOR THE TICKETS THAT PAY HIS SALARY.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 14, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Read the second link that was provided. The blogger is a nut, just an FYI.

• 12strikes - Apr 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM

My bad…. I should have mentioned that I don’t believe the hack that wrote the story….

…so…

“I don’t believe the hack that wrote the story”.

Sorry Baby Doll.

8. mox19380 - Apr 14, 2011 at 10:28 AM

what’s kind of funny is the blog this came from is one of the fans that Madson’s wife despises… She stalks players (quite literally). If you’ve ever read her blog it’s very disturbing

maybe madson’s wife should have married an accountant, I’ve never had a man or woman run up to me gushing about my april 15th accolades

• Paul - Apr 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Yeah… something about this doesn’t seem right.

9. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I believe this makes Philly a “wive’s city”, does it not?

10. cleverbob - Apr 14, 2011 at 10:43 AM

It must be so hard living a life of celebrity and fortune.

• cleverbob - Apr 14, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Actually, after reading the background on the blogger I’ll leave this one alone, since this will most likely turn into a she-said/she-said.

11. atworkident - Apr 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM

So let me get this straight we are mad because his WIFE is upset with OTHER WOMEN hitting on her husband in front of her. Where were you people last weekend when my girlfriend got mad because I was out chasing grenades on the dance floor.

12. Utley's Hair - Apr 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM

If this is true—and accurate for that matter—this little diatribe should work wonders on Mad Dog’s contract negotiations.

But if she has such a problem with the other women, she should take solace in the fact that he hasn’t closed very well in the past. Anyone? Hello? Is this thing on?

• macjacmccoy - Apr 14, 2011 at 5:59 PM

yea the volumes turned up. and its funny.

13. jeffro33 - Apr 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM

If true, this is really funny. Awesome that Ryan was able to marry what seems like a much younger, ignorant girl….

With regards to players leaving in the offseason lady…. two reasons…. One, most of these players are not from Philly. Two, we have this terrible 3-4 month thing called……..Winter.

As far as your husband being hit on, deal with it. Remember when you are warm and fuzzy at night that the same people you despise are the ones feeding your bank account.

14. mrznyc - Apr 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Craig, in the interest of somewhat responsible journalism shouldn’t the lead for this piece been something like – “Nut job accuses Madson’s wife.”

• markfrednubble - Apr 15, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Nut job? Mrs. Madson said what she said (no one has denied a word of it). That the “reporter” may not have followed convention and identified herself is unfortunate, even unfair, but largely beside the point. Wives of pro ballplayers know very well to always keep their guards up especially when talking to strangers. Sounds to me like Mrs. Madson’s true sentiments about Phillies fans are now public, and she and her husband don’t like reading them in the mirror.

15. kingjoe1 - Apr 14, 2011 at 1:06 PM

This gold digger ougth to get a job and shut the heck up.

I have some advice for her beside getting a taste of reality; the reason women hand him their number in front of you is that they probably think he cant be satisfied with you. They probably see you are older, heavier and elss attractive then they are. Just wait and see what happens when he cashing in next year.

16. jeanneblu - Apr 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Fans are part of the deal. When that big contract is signed, crazy female fans come with it. If you’re married to a well-known person this nuttieness comes with the marriage contract. Either give up the $$$ and your spouse or deal with what comes with it. Sorry Mrs Madson, that’s life.

17. jeanneblu - Apr 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Oh, and Mrs. Madson, When you’re a well-known sports figure there is really is no off-season. Hang in there, you’ll learn after a few yearrs, if you last that long,.

18. marshmallowsnake - Apr 14, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Mrs….she is married to Ryan, right?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 14, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Miss is for unmarried, Mrs. is for married, and Ms. is for either, so technically, he is correct.

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 14, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Good to know. I got chastised the other day for using Ms. to a married woman.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 14, 2011 at 7:31 PM

If you say it out loud, it’s pronounced Mizz. English grammar is funky and nonsensical sometimes.

19. deathmonkey41 - Apr 14, 2011 at 1:58 PM

They’ll work quickly to discredit her. They did the same thing when that blogger questioned whether or not Raul Ibanez’s numbers when he first came over to the Phillies were artifically driven. It’s funny how his numbers have taken a dive ever since that story came out- oh yeah- I forgot- he had a injury that started immediately following that story and it has plagued him ever since…

20. joedubs - Apr 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Woe is me. The trials and tribulations of a cleat chaser.

21. delawarephilliesfan - Apr 14, 2011 at 2:00 PM

First of all Craig, Happy Birthday. What – it’s not your birthday? With a gift like this I just assumed…..

Anyway “I take a lot of crap from Philly fans, but that’s OK because I think it’s kind of fun.”

I think one could argue the opposite is true…..but then again, we always come back. And you know as well as anyone, we Phillies fan’s have made you the rock star you are :)

22. dirtyharry1971 - Apr 14, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Mrs Madson isnt alone

23. nofunleague - Apr 14, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Everyone hates Phiily fans. They are terrible. But Hey the town is a dump.

24. henryd3rd - Apr 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM

W. C. Fields: “I would rather be living in Philadelphia”.

25. darius0410 - Apr 14, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Not for anything, but we have season tickets next to the bullpen and Madson spends the entire game pointing out cute girls to the other pitchers. he hardly watches the game at all, you see him pointing into the stands and anytime you follow where he’s looking or pointing, you can guarentee good looking girls are walking down the aisle. instead of blaming the fans, maybe his wife should look a little closer to home…

I hope the money he’s making from all these horrible fans who are selling out CBP every night turns to ash in her pocket!

• cliffleesbeard - Apr 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM

So straight married can’t think another girl is attractive?

• cliffleesbeard - Apr 14, 2011 at 5:35 PM

married men* sorry

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3370)