Apr 14, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
Catcher Gary Sanchez, right-hander Dellin Betances (pictured) and left-hander Manny Banuelos have all gone on the DL’s for their respective minor league teams, The LoHud Yankees blog reports.
Those three players were ranked second, third and fourth respectively on Baseball America’s Top 10 Yankees prospects list behind Jesus Montero.
Both pitchers have gone on the DL because of blisters, something GM Brian Cashman is blaming on the smaller seams founds on minor league baseballs.
Sanchez’s absence has yet to be explained. The 19-year-old was hitting .238/.273/.476 with one homer in five games for low Single-A Charleston. He made his most recent appearance on Monday.
In better news for the Yankees, Montero seems to be recovering just fine from his disappointing spring. He’s hit in all six of his starts for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, going 13-for-29 with a homer and three doubles.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)