Apr 14, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
Catcher Gary Sanchez, right-hander Dellin Betances (pictured) and left-hander Manny Banuelos have all gone on the DL’s for their respective minor league teams, The LoHud Yankees blog reports.
Those three players were ranked second, third and fourth respectively on Baseball America’s Top 10 Yankees prospects list behind Jesus Montero.
Both pitchers have gone on the DL because of blisters, something GM Brian Cashman is blaming on the smaller seams founds on minor league baseballs.
Sanchez’s absence has yet to be explained. The 19-year-old was hitting .238/.273/.476 with one homer in five games for low Single-A Charleston. He made his most recent appearance on Monday.
In better news for the Yankees, Montero seems to be recovering just fine from his disappointing spring. He’s hit in all six of his starts for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, going 13-for-29 with a homer and three doubles.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32