Apr 14, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
Catcher Gary Sanchez, right-hander Dellin Betances (pictured) and left-hander Manny Banuelos have all gone on the DL’s for their respective minor league teams, The LoHud Yankees blog reports.
Those three players were ranked second, third and fourth respectively on Baseball America’s Top 10 Yankees prospects list behind Jesus Montero.
Both pitchers have gone on the DL because of blisters, something GM Brian Cashman is blaming on the smaller seams founds on minor league baseballs.
Sanchez’s absence has yet to be explained. The 19-year-old was hitting .238/.273/.476 with one homer in five games for low Single-A Charleston. He made his most recent appearance on Monday.
In better news for the Yankees, Montero seems to be recovering just fine from his disappointing spring. He’s hit in all six of his starts for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, going 13-for-29 with a homer and three doubles.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 0
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)