A link to a FAN-tastic Rickey Henderson story

Apr 15, 2011, 5:21 PM EDT

Rickey Henderson #24

It’s Friday, I’m out of gas, and the world of baseball news seemed to stop the moment Phil Hughes got sent to the DL.  It happens.  So before I seek out fermented beverages and switch between and among 15 baseball games this evening, I leave you with a link to a great story about Rickey Henderson and signs from the third base coach, passed to me by The Baseball Crank and recounted by Gus Ramsey.

This, as they say, is too good to check. I’m going to assume it’s true for now and always.

1. mgflolox - Apr 15, 2011 at 5:29 PM

That’s cute and all, but Rickey was actually one of the smartest, best percentage players in history. You take 9 Doug Glanvilles and I’ll take 9 Rickey Hendersons and we’ll see who wins.

• aarcraft - Apr 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Really? You get nine first ballot hall of famers, and I get nine Doug Glanvilles? Hardly seems fair.

• drunkenhooliganism - Apr 16, 2011 at 1:26 AM

You’re ignoring Glanville’s scrap. Once a sabermagician can fully value scrap you’ll feel silly demeaning the glanville. If he was a white middle infielder maybe you’d appreciate his obvious scrap

• mgflolox - Apr 17, 2011 at 4:56 AM

I’m just sick of all the Rickey bashing. Doug Glanville is a very articulate, intelligent guy, but his baseball acumen was decidedly unintelligent in regards to what wins baseball games.

2. Loren - Apr 15, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Before I clicked on the link I thought it was going to be the “take off” story:

(the story is at the end of the article)
    They’re both great stories. Man, I love Rickey.

3. bigtrav425 - Apr 15, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Who is Phil Hughes?

4. cur68 - Apr 15, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Good story, but the kicker is; did he steal? If so; kudos to Ricky for disguising his acknowledgment and hiding the sign.

Now I feel like I’m about to ask a question that everybody knows the answer to but me, but who’s today’s Henderson? This guy needs to combine Ricky’s talent with his self centered eccentricity, either malapropisms or some other verbal quirk and has to be generally liked. The best I can come up with is Brian Wilson. Anyone got think of someone else?

• Tim's Neighbor - Apr 16, 2011 at 12:47 AM

I thought sarcasm was outlawed with you…

5. mcsnide - Apr 15, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Nice story. Too bad it’s not true. Rickey broke the walk record in 01 while playing for the Padres.

• bigxrob - Apr 16, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Please, don’t let facts interfere with baseball lore

• mcsnide - Apr 16, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Haha. What’s sad is that I spent over an hour trying to figure out what game in 99 might have inspired this story. We all tend to conflate real events with more significant events in our memories, and I’m guessing there’s a kernel of truth in this story, but Valentine “misremembered” the exact circumstances. The biggest milestone I could find for Rickey that year was his 1000th RBI. Unfortunately, it came on a home run, so there’s no way the standing O came with him standing on 1B. He did drive another run in later in that game with a single, so maybe it happened then. Or, considering that we’re talking about Rickey, he could have led off some random inning with a single or walk, and thought Rojas was clapping for him.

6. mgflolox - Apr 17, 2011 at 4:58 AM

And another thing, Rickey didn’t need signs, he knew when the situation called for a steal.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3416)