And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Apr 15, 2011, 5:48 AM EST

Colorado Rockies v New York Mets Getty Images

Rockies 6, Mets 5; Rockies 9, Mets 4:  The Rockies sweep the doubleheader and the series, with Troy Tulowitzki hitting home runs in both games yesterday.  His line on the year right now is .364/.491/.909 with seven homers and 14 RBI, which I think makes him your NL MVP at the 12 game mark.  In the first game Scott Hairston stopped running for a ball when he got to the warning track, allowing it to drop for a two-run double by Seth Smith. I’m guessing he saw his shadow or something. Or maybe it was a hallucination of his dead grandmother crawling up his leg with a knife in her teeth. Either way, it inspired Dustin Parkes to tell a funny joke on Twitter.

Yankees 6, Orioles 5: This one has to hurt. Baltimore had a 5-0 lead after they got done batting in the fifth, only to watch the Yankees steadily chip away.  I didn’t see this game, but I bet it was one of those deals where the team in front seemed like they were behind even before they actually were. It wasn’t all grins for the Yankees, though. Phil Hughes continues to suffer from low velocity and, consequently, continues to stink. For the second straight start Bartolo Colon came in to bail him out and to do so effectively. Hmmm, I wonder who gets the next start when Hughes’ turn comes up? Anyway, four straight losses for Baltimore, as the bloom continues to come off the rose for some early season surprises. They’re off to face Cleveland next, though, so at least one of the First Week Friskies will likely leave with some momentum.

Phillies 4, Nationals 0: Cliff Lee dominates with a three-hit shutout and 12Ks. This kind of update is going to become so ubiquitous in Phillies games by the middle of the season that I may just start reducing their ATH entry to the pitcher’s name and line score.

Marlins 6, Braves 5Mac points out something I hadn’t realized: the Braves keep winning the first game of series and then losing the rest of them. Cool. I mean, no, not cool, but it is slightly less unpleasant to momentarily appreciate a pattern rather than to stare at an undifferentiated pile of stank.

Brewers 4, Pirates 1: The Ships in the Night Series. Four straight losses for the Pirates and five of six, all at home. The Brewers, for their part, have won four straight and seven of eight. Randy Wolf struck out ten and shut out the Pirates over six and two-thirds. The Pirates need to get back out on the road where it’s safer.

Royals 5, Mariners 1: A rain-shortened game. Which was probably fine by the Mariners, because one doesn’t want to be forced to sit and dwell too long on the fact that one can’t hit Bruce Chen (8 IP, 6 H, 0 ER).

Rays 4, Twins 3: Walkoff two-run bomb for Johnny Damon in the 10th inning after Minnesota had taken a one-run lead in the top of the inning. This was a bullpen meltdown for Ron Gardenhire’s crew. Carl Pavano was money, shutting the Rays down over eight innings, but Joe Nathan and Matt Capps each gave up two runs, in the ninth and tenth, respectively. If Gardenhire were Ozzie Guillen he’d probably consider calling Rick Aguilera right about now.

Astros 1, Padres 0: Bud Norris and a trio of relievers shut out the Padres on three hits. Dustin Mosely has had three starts for the Padres this year. In all three, the Padres have been shut out. On the bright side, the experience has inspired Mosely to launch a career in music. His first song is actually about his Padres teammates.

Cardinals 9, Dodgers 5: A homer from Pujols and two doubles and three RBI from Matt Holliday. This is how it was supposed to go from the get-go for St. Louis. The offense has done a complete about-face in the last week. You know, ever since La Russa had that hissy fit at the press conference. Which is a shame, because it’s just going to make him feel validated for acting like a little brat.

Tigers 3, Athletics 0: Our third shutout of the night comes courtesy of Phil Coke and three relievers who three-hit the A’s. The Tigers couldn’t do anything against Gio Gonzalez but broke through for three against the Oakland pen. A pen which, I’m starting to believe, I talked up entirely too much over the winter.

1. bigxrob - Apr 15, 2011 at 6:58 AM

There you go hating on the phillies again, threatening to short change in the ATH.

• cleverbob - Apr 15, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Stop counting out the Phillies bats!

2. heffmessina - Apr 15, 2011 at 7:29 AM

You mean you didn’t see Joba’s sweet block of the plate? Thing of beauty. Once that happened even though the Yanks were down I felt like they were winning.

3. crankyfrankie - Apr 15, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Cliff Lee was masterful but Jordan Zimmerman was perfect through five in a solid performance.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 15, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Up until Ruiz barely had a homer, I thought it was going to be a couple of goose eggs hanging until the relief came out. Anyone notice the “different” type of play last night against the Phills? 1 out, man on third, pitcher up to bat, and he runs on contact. I guess when you know 3 outs are a handful of pitches away, you’ll try anything. 12 strike outs, 99 pitches, And a cool 17 whiffs.

• Chris Fiorentino - Apr 15, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Isn’t this fun? What more can I say? No need to be snippy or pretentious. This team is just fun to watch. The last few Aprils have not been much fun… 12-10…11-9…15-13…11-14. This team is 9-3, and there is no reason to think they will slow down anytime soon. They can put themselves up 5 games in first place with a sweep of the Feesh in Philly this weekend. If they are 5 up 15 games in, they will be playing beyond even my lofty expectations.

Fun…that’s the only word I can think of to describe this team right now.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 15, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Yes very much so. Lee was doing his Zoro act slicing home plate corner to corner. The late movement was shocking last night. And it pleased me as my PIP was telling me the Fly boys were putting up nothing against the best goalie in the world right now Ryan Miller.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 15, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I was flipping back and forth between the Phightins and the Flyers. That was a weak a$$ goal last night. And the Flyboys couldn’t score on a friggin’ 5-on-3?!? WTF?

4. andrewf16 - Apr 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Craig, you nailed that feeling for the Os. Posada’s HR seemed inevitable after Gregg came up.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2011 at 9:22 AM

One theeng Feesh fans learned the hard war a few years back: anybody’s homer seems inevitable when Greg trundles in from the boolpen.

• Alex K - Apr 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Cubs fans feel the same way. My wife even refers to him as “Stupid Fucking Kevin Gregg” because of how much I cursed him.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Don’t know how old you are, Alex, but I was going to the U of Chicago in the oily eighties when Mitch Williams came up with the Cubs. He and Dave Kingman made for a nonpareil duo of uncertain prospects. I can only imagine what your wife would have called them.

By the way, my ex-wife used to refer to me in much the same terms – still does, probably – and I wore glasses too.

• Alex K - Apr 15, 2011 at 12:06 PM

I was born in the oily eighties, and not in Chicago (or even the area around it). And my wife, well, she doesn’t refer to him as “SFKG” for any other reason than she knows my feelings for the man.

5. Jonny 5 - Apr 15, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Two complete games in a row. I think by the all star break, the Phills relievers will be the most overpaid relievers in the game. The bull pen has looked like a social club for the last two nights. I coulda sworn I saw them playing beer pong….. BTW Holy s—- 70% of the stadium was Phills fans. And lucky them, Cliffy was ON FI—-ERRRR!

• Phillies Homer - Apr 15, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Just make sure they sober up every 5th day for Joey B’s start!!

Although if they start ponging it up in the ‘pen I think Blanton is going to plead to be taken out of the rotation.

6. bcopus - Apr 15, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Let me get this straight. You want me to throw this in the tub at the peak of White Rabbit?…

7. 4d3fect - Apr 15, 2011 at 8:35 AM

HST reference? Sweeet.

8. Brian - Apr 15, 2011 at 8:42 AM

tony was probably just hungover when he had the hissyfit. no biggie. whatever works to get albert hitting…he’s the cornerstone of my fantasy team.

9. yankeesfanlen - Apr 15, 2011 at 8:54 AM

My favorite player of the Yanks last night was THE FAT TOAD. As fullback.
    Wow, do we need to get rid of Gardner and Beep-beep following each other. Two black holes in a row almost sank us before Grumpy’s homer.I think I have a solution to Swisheroo’s languid start- do the pie in the face BEFORE the game.
    Isn’t Friskie First Week kitten food?

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Week old kittens don’t take solid food. However, Friskies meat formula cat foods are excellent for baby monitor lizards and tegus. Herpetologists recommend them as part of a balanced diet including crickets, superworms, baby mice and hard boiled egg. Red tegus should also be fed banans, grapes, papaya and blueberries. Full grown monitor lizards and tegus will also take week old kittens. What goes around, comes around.

10. proudlycanadian - Apr 15, 2011 at 9:06 AM

The Royals have been a surprise team so far this season. Alex Gordon has been a big part of their fine performance.

• sportsdrenched - Apr 15, 2011 at 9:30 AM

We called him The Dominator over the winter in jest. Now we call him The Dominator because he’s dominating.

..and don’t anyone point out Greinke and Chen had the same ERA last year. Especially the Brewers.

11. jdl1325 - Apr 15, 2011 at 9:15 AM

The A’s bullpen will be fine. Michael Wurtz and Andrew Bailey are on the DL ansd I doubt your excitement about the A’s bullpen had much to do with Tyson Ross and Bobby Cramer.

• jwbiii - Apr 15, 2011 at 10:58 AM

But remember, when you put in Michael, your pitching gets Wuertz.

12. icanspeel - Apr 15, 2011 at 9:44 AM

As a Padres representer I have to say the critics were right about Padres hitting worse with Adrian gone, but wrong about the Padres starting pitching.. so far. Poor Mosely, #5 starter, 0-3 with an ERA under 2. So many clubs would kill to have a #5 starter with an ERA under 2.

13. Old Gator - Apr 15, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Feesh fans had to greet last night’s series win over the Bravos with mixed feelings. On the positive side, Hanley seems to be coming around at the plate (You theenk hees going to make it? I dunno, he seem preety seeck to me. Hey look – I theenk hees coming around….) but Los Manos de Piedra also made his fourth error on an errant throw. Never the reincarnation of Honus Wagner or Ozzie Smith anyway, Hanley is regressing to his fielding follies of several years ago. He needs to join Roger Dorn for some infield practice. The Iron Giant crushed another RBI double but looked just awful chasing outside pitches and balls in the dirt for the rest of his at-bats with all the discipline of a baby monitor lizard presented with a teaspoonful of Friskies beef and heart. I’m an atheist so praying that he won’t be a permanent member of the swing-hard-in-case-you-hit-it school of awe inspirtation would be ridiculous, but perhaps a letter-writing campaign (I don’t believe in Twitter either)? John Buck emerged from his 0-for-17 schneid with the GWH (yeah, I know that’s not a real statistic anymore, but neither is GNP, and they still trot that one out). Christ Coghlan made a sick diving catch on Brooks Conrad’s liner with the bases loaded in the sixth to save Brian Sanches’ ass after he and Randy Choate managed to fill the bags with a hit and two walks.

Ricky Nolasco, after skwishing the Astros like so many cucarachas last week, must have taken some pointers from Javier Vasquez because, like Anibal and Volstad before him, he pitched like Vasquez last night. I think maybe it’s time to send Javy out for a few days to evaluate some talent at the A level and let Alex Sanabia have his spot in the rotation back.

Tonight, the Feesh take on the Feelies – speaking of Javier Vasquez and his sparkling 8.64 (hey, oil slicks sparkle in the sunlight, don’t they?) ERA, Javy will be mismatched against Lee Harvey Oswalt (2.25). All those Feelie fans who in prior incarnations used to go to the coliseum to drink, vomit and watch the lions fighting over torn-off limbs and eviscerated torsos ought to have a field day at this game.

14. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 15, 2011 at 10:40 AM

That Braves stat blows, Craig. The Phils are nastier than Nas. Screw this, I’m heading to the Bulls game tomorrow, so baseball can suck it for a day.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 15, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Wow…you’re just asking for trouble from Craig, aren’t you?

But the opposite can be said about the Phightins—they have lost/imploded in the first game in the last three series, only to take the next two. And the other first game needed a ninth-inning implosion by Brandon Lyon to be a win.

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 15, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I hope you are force-fed a poo pie for each win the Phils get this season.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 15, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Sorry…I couldn’t hear you over the MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

15. Joe - Apr 15, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Adam Kennedy with Seattle’s only RBI, so HA!

16. Utley's Hair - Apr 15, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Dustin Mosley just doesn’t know how to win. Hell, even Cliffy got on base and broke up a double play sliding into second.

17. APBA Guy - Apr 15, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I’m not so sure the A’s bullpen is going to be all right, as in, dominating like in 2009. Wuertz was never right all last year. This year he’s still ragged, Bailey’s on the DL, and some of the other guys have started shaky. What has evolved is an “A” team of Balfour and Fuentes that had a slow start and has evoved into being reliable, and a “B” team of everyone else, that has been good for 3 or so runs per game, like yesterday.

Because the downside to the A’s, moreso than the bullpen, is the offense. 3 hits against Phil Coke, not exactly the second coming of Cliff Lee, but check out the lineup the A’s threw out there last night:

Crisp .229/.245/.599
    Barton .279/.436/.821
    CoJack .292/.346/.721
    Wil’ham .222/.294/.738
    Matsui .244/.277/.721
    Ellis .217/.265/.591
    Suzuki .186/.255/.581
    LaRoche .333/.364/.840
    Pen’ton .194/.212/.406

Keep in mind LaRoche is the utility guy getting a spot start at third, subbing for Kouzmanoff’s 4 errors and .475 OPS.

Here are the starters ERA’s:

Gio 0.47
    Mr. Anderson 2.29
    White Rabbit 3.12
    McCarthy 3.52
    Braden 4.15

Team 2.83

I think Beane would take a team ERA of 2.83 and starters ERA’s as they are so far. I think 29 other GM’s would take them as well. Ok, maybe 28, let’s leave Philly out, Ruben’s probably good with his starters :).

Only Seattle could look at that offense and say “I’ll take that”. I said after the last CWS game that Oakland gave 3 professional at bats against Chris Sale, and that was true. No wonder Ozzie was so lit up after the game, because if Oakland can hit you, you really had nothing.

So this is the deal with Oakland in 2012. Any halfway decent pitching performance is going to beat them, because the offense just doesn’t have enough to overcome that. But your offense has to do enough to get to the Oakland bullpen. Last night, DET worked the count on Gio and got him out after 6, then they won. That’s a winning formula against OAK this year, provided your starter has a good night, and your bullpen can hold. You don’t need Philly stuff to beat the A’s, “good” is good enough.

18. Ryan Karhut - Apr 15, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Anyone see Ozzie’s press conference after the game? So funny I love Ozzie

Ozzie Has No Love For His Bullpen http://wp.me/p11EPk-wc

19. macjacmccoy - Apr 15, 2011 at 7:50 PM

” I hadn’t realized: the Braves keep winning the first game of series and then losing the rest of them. Cool.”

Yea and the Phillies have lost the first game of the Nationals, Mets, and Braves series and then won the rest of them and they should have lost the 1st one to the Astros except for a 9th inning rally.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5522)