Apr 15, 2011, 2:05 PM EDT
We mentioned the ugly civil suit between Brian Giles and his ex-girlfriend the other day. The one in which the girlfriend sought millions in a breach of contract claim from Giles, claiming that he promised to take care of her financially following their breakup. There were also competing claims of domestic violence, fraud and all manner of other nastiness. Well, it’s over now and Brian Giles has won.
The jurors interviewed after the verdict was read said that some of them believed that there was a contract there but that it was so vague that they were unable to ascertain any damages. They also said that the domestic violence claims “cancelled each other out” and that it was a matter of “mutual combat.” That’s not the sort of thing you hear everyday when it comes to domestic violence, but let’s remember that this was not a criminal trial, so the jury wasn’t approaching this as a criminal matter.
So, good for Giles, I guess. I mean, I suppose all of this ugliness being aired out is worth not having to pay millions. But really, it’s not like anyone in their right mind would call this a “major triumph” or anything.
Say — has anyone seen Lester?
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 3
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 16
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)