Apr 15, 2011, 2:05 PM EDT
We mentioned the ugly civil suit between Brian Giles and his ex-girlfriend the other day. The one in which the girlfriend sought millions in a breach of contract claim from Giles, claiming that he promised to take care of her financially following their breakup. There were also competing claims of domestic violence, fraud and all manner of other nastiness. Well, it’s over now and Brian Giles has won.
The jurors interviewed after the verdict was read said that some of them believed that there was a contract there but that it was so vague that they were unable to ascertain any damages. They also said that the domestic violence claims “cancelled each other out” and that it was a matter of “mutual combat.” That’s not the sort of thing you hear everyday when it comes to domestic violence, but let’s remember that this was not a criminal trial, so the jury wasn’t approaching this as a criminal matter.
So, good for Giles, I guess. I mean, I suppose all of this ugliness being aired out is worth not having to pay millions. But really, it’s not like anyone in their right mind would call this a “major triumph” or anything.
Say – has anyone seen Lester?
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)