Apr 15, 2011, 2:05 PM EST
We mentioned the ugly civil suit between Brian Giles and his ex-girlfriend the other day. The one in which the girlfriend sought millions in a breach of contract claim from Giles, claiming that he promised to take care of her financially following their breakup. There were also competing claims of domestic violence, fraud and all manner of other nastiness. Well, it’s over now and Brian Giles has won.
The jurors interviewed after the verdict was read said that some of them believed that there was a contract there but that it was so vague that they were unable to ascertain any damages. They also said that the domestic violence claims “cancelled each other out” and that it was a matter of “mutual combat.” That’s not the sort of thing you hear everyday when it comes to domestic violence, but let’s remember that this was not a criminal trial, so the jury wasn’t approaching this as a criminal matter.
So, good for Giles, I guess. I mean, I suppose all of this ugliness being aired out is worth not having to pay millions. But really, it’s not like anyone in their right mind would call this a “major triumph” or anything.
Say – has anyone seen Lester?
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)