Apr 15, 2011, 2:05 PM EDT
We mentioned the ugly civil suit between Brian Giles and his ex-girlfriend the other day. The one in which the girlfriend sought millions in a breach of contract claim from Giles, claiming that he promised to take care of her financially following their breakup. There were also competing claims of domestic violence, fraud and all manner of other nastiness. Well, it’s over now and Brian Giles has won.
The jurors interviewed after the verdict was read said that some of them believed that there was a contract there but that it was so vague that they were unable to ascertain any damages. They also said that the domestic violence claims “cancelled each other out” and that it was a matter of “mutual combat.” That’s not the sort of thing you hear everyday when it comes to domestic violence, but let’s remember that this was not a criminal trial, so the jury wasn’t approaching this as a criminal matter.
So, good for Giles, I guess. I mean, I suppose all of this ugliness being aired out is worth not having to pay millions. But really, it’s not like anyone in their right mind would call this a “major triumph” or anything.
Say — has anyone seen Lester?
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)