Apr 15, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
I told myself that I wasn’t going to get too upset about the Braves batting order because batting order doesn’t matter a great deal, but I’m only human, my biggest fanboy crush of a baseball player continues to be left on the basepaths because no one behind him can drive him in and, dammit, I’m allowed to be emotional about this stuff from time to time.
Dave O’Brien of the AJC has an extended discussion of the problem today. The upshot: Fredi Gonzalez likes balance and lefty-righty stuff and, hey, you can’t let opposing teams pitch around Dan Uggla! Dan “.160/.192/.360″ Uggla. Heaven forfend. He’s sticking with Heyward in the six-hole. At this point it wouldn’t shock me if he was doing it simply so that no one can say he caved to the pressure that I and other complainers are applying.
This all goes away if and when some of the other guys in the Braves’ lineup start hitting. But for now Jason Heyward is hitting. And walking. And so are Chipper Jones and Brian McCann for that matter. It sure would be nice if the three of those guys were bunched up in the lineup together to take advantage of that. Let Nate McLouth and Uggla figure it out on their own damn time,
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 17
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)