Apr 15, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
April 15th is the anniversary of Jackie Robinson’s Major League debut. Tons of players will wear #42 in his honor today (which I don’t much care for, but that’s another rant). That dude down at that university in Georgia or Florida or wherever will issue his annual report about minority participation in baseball (which I don’t much care for either, but that’s also another rant).
Major League Baseball is obviously doing stuff too. One of them is the launch of www.IAM42.com where 60+ baseball players and other celebrity types appear on video and express what Jackie Robinson and his legacy means to them. Also, tomorrow at noon and 6PM easter, MLB Network will air a documentary called Letters From Jackie: The Private Thoughts of Jackie Robinson. It’s hosted by Curtis Granderson and narrated by Dennis Haysbert (who, sadly, is not likely to be doing the Cerrano voice). It focuses on Robinson’s role in the civil rights movement, post-baseball retirement for the most part. A preview of it can be seen here.
This sounds cool. Because, while I mean this as no offense whatsoever to Robinson’s baseball legacy, that part of his life is a well-known and well-told story by now. Indeed, it’s bordering on fable and simplistic morality tale, and has been sapped somewhat of its historical power due to over-exposure and reductionism in my view. Jackie Robinson’s post-playing career, however, is every bit as interesting and complex as him breaking the color line, even if it wasn’t as significant. And I tend to be a fan of interesting and complex, and I like to learn new things rather than recite the old, so I am really looking forward to this.
Anyway, happy 42 Day.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 7
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 11
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)