Looking ahead to the Mets vs. Braves

Apr 15, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT

New York Mets v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

I went on Ted Berg’s Baseball Show over at SNY.TV this afternoon to help Ted scout the Braves in advance of  the Mets-Braves series. I used the phrases “atrocious,” “terrible” and “sink hole” to describe the Braves’ play of late, so that was fun.  I also made two pretty bad errors:

1. I called Fredi Gonzalez “Freddie Freeman” which is something I’ve been doing while writing since spring training and can’t seem to stop; and

2. I said that the Braves don’t give a long leash to young players. This is patently false and I knew it as soon as I got off the phone with Ted. I had this concept in my brain a couple of years ago for reasons that aren’t clear, and then someone who is not a Braves fan — and thus more objective than me — pointed out to me that I was full of beans.  And since then I’ve noticed and appreciated that the Braves do, in fact, give young players a lot of chances, actually, and one need look no further than the presence of Jason Heyward, Freeman, Craig Kimbrel and Jonny Venters in key positions to realize it.

What I said about Freeman still stands — the Braves have no choice but to stick with him no matter how bad he hits — but why I auto-piloted to that “the Braves keep young players on a short leash” thing is a mystery to me. Just wasn’t thinking. This simply is not the case and hasn’t been for, like, a decade at least, even if it was ever true.

Anyway, enjoy.

1. nps6724 - Apr 15, 2011 at 4:06 PM

4th-place vs. 5th-place! SCORE!

2. sdelmonte - Apr 15, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Funny, but after the last few days you could have used the same words to describe the Mets. So either one team will get a chance to right itself again the other, or this might be a lousy weekend of baseball at Turner.

3. BC - Apr 15, 2011 at 4:20 PM

The Mets are 4-9 and already in last place. I’m looking forward more to the race at Talladega this weekend.

• sportsdrenched - Apr 15, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Thanks for reminding me ‘Dega was this weekend.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 15, 2011 at 4:56 PM

If ya ain’t first, yer last.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 15, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Craig, excellent summary. You should manage Los Bravos.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 15, 2011 at 4:46 PM

You really want Fredi Gonzalez at first? Okay then….

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 15, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I hope someone is stuffing that poo-pie down your gullet right now.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 15, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Sadly—for you, that is—my gullet happens to be poo-pie free. :P

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 15, 2011 at 5:32 PM

One thumbs down for you and your poo-less maw.

5. skerney - Apr 15, 2011 at 4:26 PM