Apr 15, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT

Oscar Gamble nods approvingly. Says "now grow it bigger."

From last night’s game, via AP.  This may be the most beautiful thing I’ve seen on a baseball diamond since Greg Maddux retired:

1. b7p19 - Apr 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Now I wish I would have tuned into the A’s game last night. Nothing makes people forget about a DUI like a dynomite fro.

2. BC - Apr 15, 2011 at 9:58 AM

For the younger crowd who may not remember the power of the fro:
    Fear the fro.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Apr 15, 2011 at 9:59 AM

He looks like one of those Troll Dolls in another of the pictures…here on mlb.com

4. banksatdixie - Apr 15, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I thought Oscar Gamble only made appearances on Old Timer’s Day

5. kolfax - Apr 15, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Ha, that’s is entertainment. Very cool. Nothing says baseball like the fro, the freak, the mowhawk and the beard. I love it. I was once critisized in the press for having my hat fall off 17 times in 25 pitches that was attributed to long hair that by the way wasn’t as long as the freaks. The 70s. Hat’s off to Coco. You only go around once in a career, so play it the way you want to. Hope to see more of this in little league.

6. Rooster Amaro - Apr 15, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Mentioning both Oscar Gamble and Greg Maddux made me naturally thing of Garry Maddox and the size of his hat in this pic. Makes me smile.

• b7p19 - Apr 15, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Thank You.

7. jwbiii - Apr 15, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Those of us who are melanin challenged can achieve similar results with the aid of a Van de Graaff generator.

8. Joe - Apr 15, 2011 at 11:11 AM

It’s not official until it’s on a baseball card.

Pleeeeeeessssse let the CocoFro appear on a baseball card!

• Joe - Apr 15, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Shoot, I misspelled “Pleeeeeeeaaaaaassssse.” I hate that.

9. cur68 - Apr 15, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Oh why oh why didn’t he do this in the pre-season? His mug shot woulda been the winner for best mug of the year by a pro athlete. Damn.

10. buddygrant - Apr 15, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Yeah – this makes my day, hope he keeps it all season:-)

11. ngearhart1981 - Apr 15, 2011 at 11:46 AM

For some reason, the afro plus A’s uniform makes it even better. It looks like an old picture.

12. APBA Guy - Apr 15, 2011 at 1:35 PM

The picture doesn’t capture the gloriosity of seeing CoCo in full sprint in center during the game. Although the Tigers didn’t cooperate by giving him anything to chase so that his hat came flying off, always a great moment, even Raburn’s double in the right-center gap didn’t do the trick. But really, you should have seen it before the game, sans hat. Massive architectural achievement. Even better than Bobby Kielty’s Bozo imitation flaming-red ‘fro from a fe years ago.

Hitters adjusting to Masahiro Tanaka