Apr 15, 2011, 9:57 PM EDT
UPDATE: David Hale of the Wilmington News Journal reports that Oswalt is confident he’ll be able to make his next start.
While it was initially announced that he left the game with a lower back strain, Oswalt told reporters that it’s mid-back spasms that aren’t related to his past back issue.
Oswalt suffered the injury while running to first base on a bunt in the bottom of the sixth inning. He went out to start the top of the seventh inning, but walked off the mound with a trainer before throwing a pitch. He allowed two runs over six innings while striking out six and walking one before leaving the game.
As Zolecki notes, Oswalt has dealt with a lower back issues in the past. The 33-year-old right-hander was shut down in September of 2009 due to lower back inflammation and required an injection in the area prior to the start of the 2010 season.
We’ve remained optimistic about the Phillies because the “Big Four” has managed to avoid the injury bug so far, but another lingering back issue for Oswalt could make things a little more interesting in the National League East.
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 6
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 21
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)