UPDATE: Roy Oswalt leaves start with lower back strain

Apr 15, 2011, 9:57 PM EDT

Oswalt_Roy

UPDATE: David Hale of the Wilmington News Journal reports that Oswalt is confident he’ll be able to make his next start.

While it was initially announced that he left the game with a lower back strain, Oswalt told reporters that it’s mid-back spasms that aren’t related to his past back issue.

9:57 PM: According to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com, Roy Oswalt left tonight’s game against the Marlins after six innings with a lower back strain.

Oswalt suffered the injury while running to first base on a bunt in the bottom of the sixth inning. He went out to start the top of the seventh inning, but walked off the mound with a trainer before throwing a pitch. He allowed two runs over six innings while striking out six and walking one before leaving the game.

As Zolecki notes, Oswalt has dealt with a lower back issues in the past. The 33-year-old right-hander was shut down in September of 2009 due to lower back inflammation and required an injection in the area prior to the start of the 2010 season.

We’ve remained optimistic about the Phillies because the “Big Four” has managed to avoid the injury bug so far, but another lingering back issue for Oswalt could make things a little more interesting in the National League East.

1. cur68 - Apr 15, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I’m not going to gloat about the no DL rule here. I’m just going to wish Oswalt and his back well. I’ve never had back trouble but from what patients & my Dad have told me; an unmitigated pain in the @$$ (the pun is just happy coincidence).

2. ame123 - Apr 15, 2011 at 11:44 PM

The real pain the @$$ tonight was Charlie’s bullpen management. I don’t usually get mad at him, but leaving Baez in there was just stupid.

3. Old Gator - Apr 16, 2011 at 12:40 AM

The Feesh weren’t doing much more than pecking at Oswalt, but as Ned Kelly famously observed, such is life. I’m not yet ready to believe that the Feesh boolpen is quite as good as it’s looked most of the time so far this season – but more of that in the AM. But hey look – Javier Vasquez pitched a reasonable game for a back-of-the-rotation starter. Why they have him seeded third in the rotation still puzzles me mucho, though.

4. spudchukar - Apr 16, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Sure was fun watching the Marlins win.

5. purdueman - Apr 16, 2011 at 1:11 PM

HELP! HE-EEELLL-LLL-PPP!!!! Roy’s fallen down and can’t get up!!!

6. Chris Fiorentino - Apr 16, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Even with all the “lower back issues” Roy has had in the past, he does have 8 straight years of 30 or more starts so before all you Phillies haters get all orgasmic remember that stat.

“another lingering back issue for Oswalt could make things a little more interesting in the National League East.”

Keep on dreaming HBT writers and commenters…keep on dreaming.

7. fatcatt - Apr 16, 2011 at 1:48 PM

He may have that streak but there were quite a few of those where he had to be pulled because of injury issues. Its only the beginning

• Chris Fiorentino - Apr 16, 2011 at 2:00 PM

He left early from 1 game in 08, 2 in 2009, and 1 in 2010. As “bad” as his back has supposedly been, making 30 starts a year for 8 straight years still makes Oswalt a pretty solid bet to stay healthy this season.

You Phillies haters can keep on looking for reasons to give the Mutts, Gnats, Cowards, and Guppies a chance in the NL Least this year.

• purdueman - Apr 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM

I’m totally indifferent to Philly teams, but I will tell you this though… I’ve done work all over the country for over 25 years and if I needed to relocate, Philly would be at the very bottom of my list of places I’d want to live… yes, even below Detroit. Sure, the western suburbs around Cherry Hill are beautiful but the city itself? No thanks!

All of that aside, I can’t stand NL pitchers who take a militant stand that they won’t accept a trade to an AL team because then they won’t be able to bat (notice I didn’t say “hit”), and this includes Oswalt. Uh, hey dummy… you’re not getting paid to HIT; get a freakin’ clue!

I just don’t get the point behind all of Oswalt’s outbursts last year as to how he’ll never accept a trade to this team or that team. All it does is piss off the fans in the cities that he was throwing under the bus. Hey Roy, got news for ya fella… there are plenty of fish in the sea and last I checked you still ain’t got no rings!

• kcq101 - Apr 16, 2011 at 3:25 PM

purdueman – I don’t understand your distaste for Philadelphia, as a city, but I’d rather have the likes of Cliff Lee and Roy O., rather than the likes of you.

As far as Roy Oswalts preferences to be in the NL and the team for which he plays, he’s earned that luxury. That’s why the teams offer him millions in cash to play for the team. To qualify Oswalts preferences or supposed remarks as “outbursts” is quite an overstatement. The fans and cities that he is “throwing under the bus” is a misguided interpretation of stupid fans, like yourself.

He’s a simple, mild mannered pitcher who had great personal success with Houston for years. It became seemingly evident, through his later performances, that he grew tired for playing with Houston, given their stuggles as a team. So when he was on the trading block, he made a point of choosing, along with money, a team and city that fit his best personal interests. Again, a luxury that he earned through his prior success. So, he came to Philly.

Any Roy isn’t reading your whiny posts on HBT, so don’t address your comments like he is. Aside from the lack of meaningful content in your comments, it further proves your jaded ignorance.

• purdueman - Apr 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM

ksq, my comments about Philadelphia as a place to live are totally unbiased, because I don’t have family there and didn’t grow up there either. Obviously if you did, you’ll feel differently because that’s where your “roots” are (nothing certainly wrong with that).

W.C. Fields though said it best when he said: “Here lies W. C. Fields. I would rather be living in Philadelphia.” This was an epitaph Fields proposed for himself in a 1925 article in Vanity Fair. It refers to his long standing jokes about Philadelphia (his actual birthplace), and the grave being one place he didn’t want to be caught dead in.

Philly traffic is awful, the city is dirty, the weather generally crappy and many of the neighborhoods surrounding the city are slums. Then to add insult to injury, you’ve got Wilmington, DE just down the road, and that place is virtually a total ghetto between downtown and the Philly airport. I’m glad you love the place though, because we don’t need any more transplanted Northeasterners here in beautiful Southern California.

Oswalt is a “ring chaser” at this point in his career. Don’t be shocked if he opts out of his contract at the end of the year if the Phillies don’t win a world championship and bolts for the Yankees or Boston (despite fancying himself a “hitter”… LOL!).

The real turn off though was Oswalt throwing other teams and cities under the bus while being shopped by Houston. That showed a total lack of class and was totally uncalled for.

8. phillybilly57 - Apr 16, 2011 at 2:52 PM

putting romero in to start an inning should never happen. bad fielder,no control.should be cut !!!!!!!!!!!!

• purdueman - Apr 16, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I’m sure that Brian Cashman of the Yankees is hoping that the Phils cut Romero, because then the Yankees can wait for him to clear waivers and add them to their growing stable of cheap, over the hill pitchers!!!

9. Jonny 5 - Apr 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Cherry hill is east of philly, across the river in NJ. The burbs “around Philly” are nicer than what you find inner city. Purdueman, I assume you get the name shoveling sh!t at the purdue chicken farms? You shovel it well posting here I see.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3281)